Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
BMGRAHAM

Re: Fn+F5, Fn+F7 Combinations Not Working

I am glad that I can help.  Now here's the weird thing - once I got it to work, I was able to upgrade to the latest version of the hotkey drivers and the Fn keys still work properly!
Fanfold Paper
KengNN

I can see the screen Fn+F5. The management blutooth works normally. The management WiFi does not work - it is always switched on.
Fn+F2, F4, F7, F12 is work. Besides does not work Fn+F3 (screen switching off)

May be somebody help?

Windows 7 professional, ThinkPad T42p
installed:
On screen Display
ThinkPad FullScreen Magnifer
ThinkPad Power Management driver
ThinkVantage Active Protetion
Hotkey driver

802.11n
techcafe

the System Interface Driver also needs to be installed

Token Ring
BMGRAHAM

Maybe for Vista and 7 they do, but I didn't have the SID and all the Fn keys work fine for me!  I just installed SID - what's it really for though?

802.11n
techcafe

yeah, most of the Fn keys will work without the SMIF driver, but when that driver is also installed, it provides an API for the Lenovo utilities (On Screen Display, Battery/Power Manager, Access Connections, and many of the other Lenovo utilities) to communicate with (query and control) the underlying hardware, so that these utilities can determine the current status of the specific hardware device that the utility is controlling.

for example, the OnScreen Display utility requires the SMIF to be installed, so that it can query the current brightness level of the display, which it then shows on the screen as a series of brightness indicator bars. however, the brightness level can still be controlled (via Fn Home/Fn End) without the SMIF driver installed, but it will not be shown (indicated) on the screen.

and as i say, some of the other utilities (that control the radios, display switching, and so on) also use the SMIF to communicate with the hardware, so that they can do their job.

at least, that is my understanding of what the SMIF driver does.

Fanfold Paper
KengNN

the System Interface Driver is installed... but WiFi is not controlled also as screen "switch off"

802.11n
techcafe

if i'm understanding you... the Fn-F5 combination does invoke the on-screen display and you are able to control the bluetooth radio, but not able to toggle the wireless radio (via the OSD)?

you say that the wireless radio is always ON, so i assume the hardware switch (master radio control) is enabled... are you able to toggle the radios via the switch?

and were you ever able to control the wifi radio using the OSD?  if yes, then what changes did you make to your system that may have impaired this functionality?  any recent updates or Windows 7 upgrade, perhaps?  it doesn't seem like anything is permanently broken, but more likely software and/or driver issues, perhaps related to the RTM version of Windows 7.

and what about ThinkVantage Access Connections?  ime, that bloated utility can cause conflicts with Windows' built-in network & radio configuration applets.  if TVAC is installed, get rid of it, and allow Windows to have exclusive control the radios.

report back...

Fanfold Paper
KengNN

[ Edited ]

1. Yes. I can see on-screen display (Fn+F5) and i can on-off bluetooth. I cannot WiFi switch off from this screen. It's switched off always on this window but WiFi is work - I can use WiFI normally, it is connecting to networks and LED under the lid burn always
I can switched off Wifi from the computer manager (as device/driver)
http://keng.nnov.ru/files/1.png
http://keng.nnov.ru/files/PIC013.jpg

2. I installed windows update from Microsoft and Lenovo soft only.

3. there isn't ThinkVantage Access Connections... When i install this soft I can not off WiFi too...

4. Combination Fn-F7 causes standard Windows window :smileyhappy: with a type choice displays, by the way
http://keng.nnov.ru/files/2.png

What's DOS?
chaldin4ever

I have the same problem...   I install the latest version of hotkeys to solve the problem. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68000.html

What's DOS?
jrissone

So this is a super old thread, but I thought I'd help anyone out still having this problem. It took me a while, but I figured it out. I'm running Windows 7 and have a T60P widescreen and the monitor and adapter video drivers that lenovo says to install for my system don't give the Function + F7 feature provided by windows 7 (in addition to not having the correct resolution available for widescreen despite using the widescreen drivers). So after reading all the posts and trying several things, I installed the windows vista display adapter (ATI Radeon/FireGL) for my lenovo model and it fixed it. Both the Function + F7 came back (working properly) and the proper resolution was restored. The important thing to note is that I'm running Windows 7 and used the display adapter marked for Vista only. That Lenovo page says to only use the monitor driver (no display adapter) if you're running windows 7 which obviously doesn't work and defaults to the Standard VGA display adapter. 

The available video drivers for T60 and T60P:

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/MIGR-62928.html#video

The video adapter for Vista which I used for Windows 7 (T60 and T60P):

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-66884

I will also note that there is a Bios setting for the display that you can set to have the display stretch to fit your monitor which I recommend setting as I tried it both ways and its better enabled. (Not sure if that Bios setting came from the Bios update utility or not).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John