Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
allancady
Accepted Solution

GPU overheat causing system crash

My T61 was resuscitated a couple months ago following a major beverage spill that completely killed it.  The shop disassembled it, cleaned it thoroughly, reassembled it, and now it works fine, except for one problem.

When I do something that involves video (e.g. Youtubes or playing a DVD movie), the system is likely to shut down completely.  I'll hear a soft click, the screen goes black, all the LED indicators go black -- completely dead.  Pressing the power button does nothing.  In order to revive the machine, I have to remove the battery and unplug the AC power.  Then when I plug the battery back in, the LEDs come back on, and pressing the power button starts the machine back up.  As long as I don't play any videos, everything is back to normal. 

I've been through this cycle now maybe 50 times; it doesn't seem to get any worse or better over time.

I installed GPU-Z, and turned on logging, then deliberately caused the shutdown by playing videos.  The shutdown seems to happen consistently when the GPU temperature goes over 110-113 Celsius.

So, two questions: 

1) Are there maybe heat sinks that would need to be re-seated?  Cooling fins that might need to be cleaned?

2) Is it possible to replace the GPU?  I have an nVidia NVS 140M.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.  Unfortunately, this system is out of warranty.

Thanks,

Allan

Paper Tape
ornith

Re: GPU overheat causing system crash

I had a *very* similar problem - had to have my motherboard replaced and get a new power supply and battery, same graphics card you have, and all the sudden it would shut down EXACTLY the way yours did (needing to be unplugged before turning back on and everything), except that it took playing WoW for a bit to do it, not just playing a video.

I'm sure they already cleaned it out when they fixed it, though opening it up as if you're going to replace the keyboard to clean it every so often probably wouldn't hurt. It might well be possible to replace the GPU, but newer models will likely only run hotter.. and require sending it to Lenovo (and with the price of a new GPU and service, you might as well get a new machine! look at NVidia's site and Lenovo's discount one if it comes to that for some good cheap ones).

I decided I'd try getting a cooling platform before sending it back in, even though mine is still under warranty - I didn't want to be entirely without it again if I could help it. I purchased this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Notepal-Notebook-R9-NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8... - the 2-fan size fits my widescreen model well, the 1-fan size is probably ok for the regular width one. Either way it runs about $20... add a paperback or something to hit $25, and it ships free.

I placed the fans toward the back where it seemed hottest, and haven't had a single such shutdown since. It's whisper-quiet, places the laptop at a nice viewing angle, and the power plug is a passthrough so you don't even lose the USB port. And it's designed in such a way that you can put the laptop under the little curve that supports the back to fit it in your carrying case, if you take the fans off. It keeps it from getting hot under my palms, too, which was always a bit of a problem for me after playing WoW a while.

So this is definitely the thing to try first!

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

allancady,

I would pull the keyboard and palmrest and check the fan.  Is it dirty?   If so, you can blow it out with a can of compressed air.

Since the system was previously taken apart, I would tend to look at the fan and heatsink.  

Buy some artic silver thermal compound, pull the fan / heatsink and clean off the thermal grease from the CPU & GPU.

On these systems, there are 3 points of contact on the heatsink.  The CPU & GPU use thermal grease to conduct, and the southbridge chip uses a silicon pad.   Don't remove the silicon pad - it's kind of like clay / silly putty.  

When you reinstall, you would put a spot of artic silver on the CPU and GPU - a spot about the size of a BB will be plenty.

Be sure all the clamps were put back.  The heatsink is held down on the CPU by 4 screws, and there is either 1 or 2 clamps that hold down the GPU heatsink.  If one of these is missing, it might not be making good contact.

I'll bet the artic silver will fix you up.

In some rare instances, someone who has been in the system previously might have bent the heat pipes on the heat sink slightly.  You can visually check for this when you have it apart.  If they are bent up a bit, the heat sinks may not make full contact.   

Best regards,

Mark

I'd bet this will solve your problem.  

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Serial Port
allancady

ornith & Mark,

I resolved my problems ultimately by having the motherboard replaced.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-with-dead-GPU-should-I-toss-it/m-p/3...

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Allanady,

Thanks!  I shoud have remembered that since I commented on your other discussion back in Oct last year.  Hope all is still running smoothly.  I should also have checked the date on this thread, but I just notice the topic and and recent comment from another member.

I just shared a little KB article on fans and heatsinks - hopefully it may help others.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество