Search instead for 
Do you mean 
JLF
Paper Tape
JLF
Accepted Solution

Hibernate and standby

Hello
I have a T43 thinkpad with XP SP2. we had to reformat awhile back. I've since reloaded all the power mgmt drivers from Lenovo's page but  when I go into the power manager, it won't let me enable 'hibernate'. Any ideas why this might be?

John
802.11n
icantux

Re: Hibernate and standby

Hello,

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you'd need to enable the "hibernate" option on your system to gain the functionality. By default, on a fresh install, XP doesn't enable "hibernate" (not even for laptops - go figure! ).

Go to "Control Panel", then select "Power Options" and then "Hibernate" tab. Check the box "enable hibernation" and reboot the system. After reboot, you should have hibernate working without any hiccups.

Hope this helps

Steve
JLF
Paper Tape
JLF

Hi Steve
Thanks fro replying. I wish it was that easy though. Originally there was no 'Hibernate' option. I downloaded the Power management drivers from the appropriate Lenovo web page. I go into Power manager  and  click on 'Hibernate'. When I click on 'Apply' , it unchecks the box. Can't figure this one out. Any ideas?

John
Punch Card
jspark

[ Edited ]
This might be worth a try --

There is a command line option (Vista & XP SP2+)
Try opening a command prompt window:

powercfg -H ON

or if that doesn't work --

try (possibly method 1) in:

and then
powercfg -H ON

Message Edited by jspark on 05-12-2008 05:45 PM
JLF
Paper Tape
JLF

I tried the powercfg utility and it tells me that Hibernate and Standby are not available. Reading further down the article, i can import a scheme from a working computer. I have Hibernate, S1 and S3 as available slepstates on another PC, but that doesn't seem to work as a scheme. What is a scheme as oppsed to a sleepstate?
The command I'm using is powercfg /export S3 /file john 
-or-
powercfg /export hibernate /file john

John
Punch Card
jspark

Power schemes may be for things like "hibernate when battery goes below 10%," "turn down monitor brightness to 20% when pulled off external power," etc...

I'm not familier with the T43.
If the "powercfg -a" command said that hibernate is not available, then it may be a hardware driver issue, or maybe a bios setting.

see:

JLF
Paper Tape
JLF

Thanks. The Microsoft link mentioned driver updates, specifiaclly the 'bare bones' VGA driver. Several updates, a few hours, and about 250M of drivers later I now have standby and hibernate.
Thank you to all who helped me!!

John
Punch Card
ares_tz

Here is the correct typing when you open a Command Prompt and unsure which one to use..

POWERCFG /? 

:manhappy: 

If you fool me once, shame on you...
If you fool me twice, shame on me!