Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007
Accepted Solution

How to disable the BACK key??

Hi,

I have T61, and I am so frustrated with this piece of sh** that I am almost ready to throw it out of the window. When I type email, I sometimes need to go one or more spaces back, to make corrections, etc. I do that using the back arrow key - the key at the right bottom of the keyboard, third from the right. The problem happens when I by mistake hit the "back button" key right above the "back arrow" key. When I hit this key, the browser goes one screen back. That piece of crap caused so many erased emails.... does anyone know, is there a way do somehow disable this f* frustrating key?

Another question. All laptops I have ever seen have CTRL key at the bottom left followed by the FN key. Thinkpad is I think the only computer that has these keys the other way around, that is the FN key followed by the CTRL key. Anyone know why this is this way on Thinkpads?

Tx.

Ps: Sorry for some of my words, but I really am frustrated with this.

Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: How to disable the BACK key??

You can disable the back and forward button by going into Thinkvantage keyboard customiser. Well when you use it enough, your muscle memory will kick in and you will get use to it. Thinkpads are not for the faint hearted.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007

Hi, thanks for your advice. Is there any other way to disable it? I already uninstalled all the Thinkvantage and other similar stuff to keep the non-core resources-consuming junk at minimum. I have been using my ThinkPad for some 5 months - those keys are tiny, it just happens that one hits the back key by mistake, no possible way to avoid it in 100% of cases.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

I haven't worked out another way to disable it, you only to install the Thinkvantage keyboard customiser application, maybe once you have disable it you can uninstall it. It is up to you whether you think it is more inconvenient in having the application or you keep on pressing the button.
SCSI Port
spwhiting

Try using the BACKSPACE key located on the right side of the keyboard.  This will delete one character at a time.
T60: 6371-CTO, VISTA Home Premium+SP1, 2GB....R51: 1836-Q4U,XP,1GB...600...755CD
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007

Hehe, good idea. It is like telling the blind to get brighter monitor! :smileyhappy: It is just a bad key in the wrong spot (for those who do a lot of typing). Of course, I use the "Backspace" key too, but since I type messages or anything 99% of my work time, I still need to use the back arrow key too here and there.

Btw, anyone has any input on why ThinkPads have the left CTRL and FN keys switched around (compared to HP, Dell, and others)?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007

Re: How to disable the browser BACK key on ThinkPad??

Btw, for those who hate the "Browser Back Key" as I do. Here is how to disable it. Wjli2 mentioned the Thinkvantage keyboard customiser, thanks, I found the details.

Where to get the ThinkVantage Keyboard Customiser?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-44185.html

How do I install it?

Note, after downloading the exe, it does not install the app yet. It just extracts it. After the app gets extracted, go to the folder where you have it, and run the setup. Then, reboot your laptop.

How do I disable the Browser Back Key?

Go to your Start menu,

ThinkVantage,

Keyboard Customiser Utility,

Key sensitivity tab,

uncheck Enable Browser Keys

I wish I knew how to attach a print screen. I hope the cook book above helps.

Cheers!

www.Maxi-Pedia.com

JaneL

What's DOS?
kpickell

Thank you for this thread.  I just got a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad and the idiots that designed this computer STILL a year later have that Browser Back button key right next to the Left Arrow Key.  I too have lost so many emails and posts due to that horrible key placement.  I would love to have a word with whoever designed this keyboard.

Fanfold Paper
fakelogin

What's annoying is that it requires an additional process to disable this.  It should be the other way, where the functionality requires an extra process.  I've yet to use that key intentionally.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.