Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
indumat

IBM T60 - No Function with DC Power - with Battery it works fine.

Hi!

i've got here a T60 with the following Problem:

The Power Chord was broken. After repairing it, the Notebook didnt recognize the power supply und didnt charge the battery.

It only starts with a charged battery.

I check the DC-in-Plug on the Motherboard - it works fine. 

'Power Reset' and Mainboard-Battery disconecting didnt help.

I suspect that resulted from the faulty power cable is a short circuit.

Is there a fuse for the DC input?

greetings, Markus

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: IBM T60 - No Function with DC Power - with Battery it works fine.

Hi, you didn't specify how the power supply was "repaired", but that would be the first thing I look at. I'd replace the power supply, they aren't very exprensive. 

I do  believe there are fuses on the T60 board, but I don't (personally) know where they are on that model.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Guru
Mornsgrans

I've answered to you in the german Lenovo-board.

Tuus was right. There is a fuse near the DC-in-connector on the board (market with "Fxx" nearby).

But first of all use annother Original Lenovo power supply - "OEMs" are too dangerous.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Mornsgrans wrote:

use annother Original Lenovo power supply - "OEMs" are too dangerous.

I should probably clarify that the term "OEM" is often used with completely different meaning in different areas, so it can be confusing.

Originally, the term O.E.M. means (Original Equipment from Manufacturer), so if you drive a "Ford" automobile, an OEM battery would be branded as FORD. 

Later when computers were manufactured, most parts were not manufactured by the computer maker, so Lenovo will buy a harddrive from Hatachi and rebrand it as a Lenovo OEM. Hatchi will no longer see it as their product and all warranty is handled by Lenovo, even though Hatachi made it.

Then came replacement parts. Some company in Asia makes a battery and brands it as "OEM replacement", meaning it replaces the OEM battery your unit shipped with, and people have shorted this to just "OEM", so we come "full-circle", with the meaning of OEM completely reversing.

Anyway, what my good friend Mornsgrans is saying is that the unbranded (non-Lenovo) ac adapters that you can  buy very cheap are dangerous. They often overheat and I've even seen one of them melt and catch on fire. You can buy the real lenovo ones pretty cheap if you look for one.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Guru
Mornsgrans

That's the reason, why i used quotation marks. The "OEM" power supplies are fakes. No "Ground"-connetion, made heavier with metal plates built in, soft plastic case becoming distorted when warming up and more protection-issues. A couple of these "OEM" resp. "Replaces FRUxxxx" power supplies caused smouldering fire.

Similar problems you also might get after manipulating the DC-cord of your power supply if you create a short. The built in protection from overloading switches from off to on and back. An amateur should keep his hands off.

It is the wrong way to save a few dollars.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
indumat

[ Edited ]

Hi!

Same problem with another original Power Supply from a friend.

Its like i wrote before: i measure the plug on the mainboard and the voltages from everyone of the 5 wires are okay.

Maybe a hint where to find the fuse?

i thought a last chance is to bought an 10.8V power supply and solder a plug at the battery connection.

Is it possible and which one do i have to connect?

"http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6519/p1080346t.jpg"

Moderator note; picture >50K removed, please use link Forum Rules

Guru
Mornsgrans

You have do detach the board from structure frame. Nearby the 5-pin DC connector the should be a fuse (maybe "F1") - look for the white terms "Fxx" near the components on the board.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Community Moderator
richk

I think the fuse is F2
What's DOS?
eroderingo

Hi,

Were u able to fix the issue with related to power supply? I do have the same problem in my T61 Lenovo laptop. But I am not sure where the fuse is.. Can u please send a picture of the same.

Thank you.