Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
brasscupcakes
Accepted Solution

In-Service Warranty Repair Denied: Would Really Appreciate Tips on How Best to Handle This -- INTERIM PROGRESS REPORT, Bottom of Thread

[ Edited ]
Hi, everybody,

Four days ago  (4-21-08), I returned my IBM T60 for repair via the prepaid box.

While I was bummed that it stopped booting for no apparent reason and I'd have to do without it, I wasn't concerned, because as a newspaper and magazine reporter and editor, I've been using Thinkpads and IBM Service since the pre-Pentium days, without ever having a problem.

But today when I called to see if my unit was on its way back, I was informed it's on 'billable hold.' IBM claimed the damage was due to a spill and thus, not covered. I could get my laptop back right now, broken, pay $750 for them to repair it (I did not spill a drop of anything into or on it) or open a dispute.

And -- get this -- it would be [i]four to five business days[/i] before I hear back from IBM regarding the dispute's disposition.
I was told the reason for this long wait was because 'we have a big backlog of dispute cases' and 'our technicians have to take pictures and make a report documenting the spill' -- which did not occur on my end.

So who documents my side? Nobody interviewed me. The prepaid box did not even contain the forms IBM service always used to send for me to fill out describing the problem.

I asked to speak to a supervisor -- nobody available. And the message I left on a supervisor's answering machine was not returned.

Needless to say, I am very upset. I absolutely positively did not spill anything into or onto my laptop. If they said dog hair or dander, okay, I've got two large mutts. But no spillage. 

Plus, the T60 is among those thinkpad models promoted by Lenovo via videos on its own site & Youtube in which Thinkpads get smooshed by heavy equipment, run over by motorcycles, submerged in diving pools, etc.!
(I just downloaded the whole lot, in case I need them for Small Claims Court).

However, I hope it doesn't come to that, and would similarly prefer to avoid anti-Lenovo blog screeds and forum posts, if possible. After all, this is my first-ever negative experience with IBM products.

Has anybody gotten any satisfaction from Warranty Service using more congenial methods? And is there anything I can do right now, as I have publication deadlines to meet?

Apart from the boot failure, this laptop was in near-pristine condition when they received it and I need it back.

[i]Four to five more business days[/i], just to tell me whether or not they want to hear my side of the story, not even to do the repair? That's kind of insulting. Why did I pay for the Warranty?

This is definitely not the IBM experience I've known and loved for so many years, so if any of you have satisfactorily resolved your own in-warranty issues, please share your experiences.

Thank you in advance for insides you may have. 

All best,
Amy

Message Edited by brasscupcakes on 04-30-2008 06:08 PM
Fanfold Paper
Monicker

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Would Really Appreciate Tips on How Best to Handle This

[ Edited ]
Not good.  You may want to search for a previous thread where somebody else went through basically the same thing as you. 

" Disputed Spill Allegations" & "My Lenovo Experience" are the thread titles.

He was told the same thing as you about claimed spill damage.

I was going to purchase another thinkpad to replace my aging T30.  Now I think I will have to go with another vendor.  :smileysad:

Message Edited by Monicker on 04-25-2008 05:18 PM
Punch Card

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Would Really Appreciate Tips on How Best to Handle This

[ Edited ]
Here is a recent post by someone in similar straits:

http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=4954

Same guy different forum:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=239234

Lenovo outsources their "Depot" repairs to the same company that IBM did.

Message Edited by ZR601 on 04-25-2008 06:44 PM

Message Edited by ZR601 on 04-25-2008 09:32 PM
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Hang on Amy. It's the weekend and the Lenovo employees take a weekend too. Your post has been noted.
Please have patience. Thanks for not flaming out right out of the chute.

To everyone else. Let's try not to scare Amy to death over the weekend. Save the flames and let her get some resolution.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
brasscupcakes

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my post and point out cases similar to mine, and thank you, Carbon_Unit, very much, for helping me keep my jets cool.

Perhaps they won't keep me waiting all those days. In any event, I'll gather whatever IBM/Lenovo management email addresses I can find over the weekend and if there is no callback on Monday, make further appeals.

Anyhow, everybody, I hope you enjoy your weekends and I will definitely be back either way to check in.

Even though I only registered for this forum today, I have lurked quite a bit and gotten a lot of useful tips from you guys.

Best,

Amy

Bit Torrent
wjli2

Well thank you for revealing what seems to be a chronic problem associated with Solectron, which had recently merged with another service company (Flexitron??) to produce the world's largest service supporter company for OEM computers... When Mark from Lenovo sees your post, he will most likely able to help you out, but do request for photos as suggested in the other post with ...
Ctrl-Alt-Del
brasscupcakes

Thank you, I will ask for pictures, presuming I get a response.

Ibm outsources repairs to Solectron, which is being swallowed up by Flexitron ... hmmm, this is starting to sound like my health insurer -- I sure hope it doesn't get that bad!

And perhaps I overlooked something, but there doesn't seem to be a place anywhere on the website for me to enter my CAS service request number in order to track it online. 

Does Mark from Lenovo check out everybody's posts or do people write to him?

No need to get back to me in any hurry, at this point, knowing nothing will happen till Monday, I'm just curious.

The upside is, it's kind of nice getting all these nice messages at this hour on a Friday night, when I expected to be the only one in the forum.

Cheers!

Bit Torrent
wjli2

just PM him, you got his posts right??? maybe this thing with solectron is just the tip of the iceberg for lenovo....
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Solectron has been doing this for years. It's nothing new.
Examples on the Thinkpads .com forum.
Mark keeps an eye on this forum.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Hey,

I did take the weekend off, and so my Monday has been catch up. That'll teach me!  :smileyhappy:

Can you send me a PM with your depot case number and I'll see where we are in the process and follow up with you.

Apologies that this has been a troubling experience.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español