Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
brasscupcakes

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Would Really Appreciate Tips on How Best to Handle This

Many thanks to Mark for offering to help as well and all the kind folk in here who pitched in with helpful advice.

Will let you know how it turns out.

best, Amy
802.11n
sktn77a

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Would Really Appreciate Tips on How Best to Handle This

Well, after reading all the bad reviews on thinkpads.com, I very reluctantly returned my T42 to Solectron last year for a motherboard replacement.  I was expecting the worst but I was very satisfied with their service.  Admittedly, this was a year ago and things may have changed in the interim. 

If you are certain there is absolutely no way anybody could have spilled anything on your computer (co-worker?  family member?) then I would dispute the diagnosis and ask them to demonstrate to you that this is damage by you, beyond any reasonable doubt.

Mark on this forum may be able to help, if it comes to this.

Keith
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
brasscupcakes

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Day 9, Not Even a Returned Phone Call, I Really Need to Access My Data

[ Edited ]
To Keith, I appreciate your sharing your positive experience with Selectron regarding
your own repair; Mark had already kindly responded offering to help.

Keith asked if I am absolutely positive that neither I nor some other member of my
household ever spilled any quantity of anything at anytime into my T60, among those
models which Lenovo marketed with video of a Thinkpad plunging into a diving pool at
Nasa.

Please permit me to ask all of you here a similar question:

If, instead of fixing your notebook, Solectron had tardily responded, requesting $750
payment for in-warranty repair, claiming you'd spilled something into it, how would
you be able to prove absolutely, positively, you hadn't?

They've got your laptop. When they dispute the case, they take the pictures of the
internals in order to document what they say is water damage which they claim you
caused.

You, meanwhile, have no recollection, ever, of any spill,  and certainly not one prior
to complete boot failure, before which your notebook functioned as-new.

It's a tough one, presuming you hadn't grabbed a screwdriver, disassembled your
Thinkpad, exposed the motherboard and taken your own photographs before sending it in.
How do you dispute such a negative, after the fact?

Nor are we just talking spills. 

Since my original post, I have discovered other posts from Thinkpad owners who attempted to dispute spill-related In-Service Warranty
denials -- only to be told after Selectron took photos yes, you're correct, no spills, but
no, you're still screwed, we found "moisture."

I've also found posts indicating that $750 is the standard 'magic number' charged for
alleged uncovered repairs on in-warranty Thinkpads, whereas that same depot repair,
undertaken as if the warranty had expired, costs significantly less, written by owners
who tried going that route.

I don't know if this is true in general, but it seems logical it would be;
in-warranty, Lenovo receives its commission or fee for uncovered repairs, having
certifed the shop as one of its depots; out-of-warranty, the shop keeps the whole pot,
and can offer a lower price on the job.

All very fair -- unless you're the Thinkpad owner.

Yes, I am cranky :smileymad:, but not with you guys. I've been without use of my relatively new,
still-under-warranty laptop for going on a week. And although I retained the hard
drive, I don't know how to access my data.

Because all my old Thinkpad drives were interchangable, I had not anticipated any
problem with waiting.

Big problem. The pins are completely different.

And Selectron has not responded to my query regarding the availability of a low-cost
hardware workaround, possibly an adapter.Their supposed 'dispute supervisor'
doesn't return my calls, period.

:smileymad::smileymad::smileymad:

So while I am grateful especially for Mark's help and hopefully await the results of
his intercession, frankly, compared to the service I am used to receiving from IBM,
this is an utter fiasco.

I have used virtually nothing but IBM Thinkpads since their inception.

Never once before, following a malfunction, did IBM fail to deliver a perfectly
functioning Thinkpad into my hands within 2 days -- three days at most.

Never once before did any other machine break down during the first year of ownership.

And in those pre-recession expense-account days, those machines were handled far less
delicately (being heavier-duty) and saw far more use on the road, often sitting right
beside my requisite post-flight cocktail, 'moist' room service order, and migratory crumbs.

That's the kind of service and the quality IBM made its name on, which I thought I was
getting with the T60 -- part of a Thinkpad line touted as most durable to date.

I am not naive, and wouldn't have been surprised, if IBM-Lenovo  had to make some
trade-offs in manufacturing and service in order to stay competitive.

But if that is so, do not market your product as tougher than ever, trumpeting
rollcages and airbags, videotaping torture tests, and sponsoring public demos in which
a stunt rider repeatedly pops wheelies upon and runs over a Thinkpad.

And absolutely do not ignore calls to tech support, refuse access to supervisors and
look for flimsy pretexts to deny in-warranty repairs or otherwise all-around trod-upon
customers -- many of them loyal to this product for years.

Believe me, if I had been asked to pay more for my Thinkpad in order to receive that
same old IBM quality, I would have paid it.

I paid what I was asked to pay, for quality IBM-Lenovo claimed was better than ever,
reasonably presuming this was the truth.

(I had to say this to somebody; thanks to my forum friends for listening) 

Message Edited by brasscupcakes on 04-30-2008 06:04 PM

Message Edited by brasscupcakes on 04-30-2008 06:05 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
brasscupcakes

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Now 9 since I sent my T60 in for repair ...

Hi -- fedex picked up my T60 on April 21st, it's no April 30, 5:54 EST and the supposed supervisor at Solectron's dispute department hasn't even returned my message yet.

(I'd incorrectly stated that it's only going on a week since I've been without my Thinkpad).
Punch Card
MattB

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- Now 9 since I sent my T60 in for repair ...

Sorry to hear of your experience...remind me to buy an accidental damage warranty with onsite service if I ever purchase a Thinkpad.

If this is the kind of service Lenovo gets from their contracted repair provider, they should start looking for a new provider. I've never had any issues with the depot repair provided by Compaq's Commercial Notebook division. Never have they tried to claim accidental damage or charge me for anything (and I don't have an ADP warranty on my current machine). If other manufacturers can get depot service provided reasonably, so can Lenovo.
Token Ring
rec630

Re: In-Service Warranty Repair Denied -- I Really Need to Access My Data

Why oh why do I always find these kind of posts  AFTER I place an order?   I can only hope for the best...

Your new drive is proably SATA while your old ones were PATA (IDE). You should be able to buy a drive enclosure, install the hard drive and then access the drive by plugging into a USB/Firewire port depending on what the enclosure supports.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/04/17/access-hard-drive-using-usb-enclosure/

>And although I retained the harddrive, I don't know how to access my data. Because all my old Thinkpad >drives were interchangable, I had not anticipated any problem with waiting.

>Big problem. The pins are completely different.
Punch Card
Hellbore

I think this is a good example of why it's worth it to buy the Accident Protection coverage with your Thinkpad.  That way there's no excuse, they have to fix it.

I would say accident protection is worth the peace of mind.  Liquid spills or moisture from ambien humidity or what have you are not the only things to worry about.  When your laptop is a constant companion like mine is, it would be easy to leave it lying some place where it could get sat on or dropped, breaking the screen. 

Another surprisingly common scenario is you close the lid and put the laptop away in its case, not waiting to see if it actually enters sleep mode... and for some reason (a Windows error message or the like) the laptop never actually enters sleep mode, it just stays on inside your bag... and cooks itself.  My sister has ruined 2 laptops this way and her husband has ruined 1 (they are big-time laptop users).

Thinkpads are a lot more rugged and durable than the average laptop but they are not invincible.  I honestly think that when buying a high-end laptop such as the T61 it is a wise investment to get the accident protection.  Peace of mind is valuable in and of itself!
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Punch Card
Hellbore

In order to access your files, may I suggest this:

$7.89 + $5.99 shipping inside the US, $13.88 total for a useful tool you may want to use again in the future even after your laptop issue is resolved.

For example you can purchase an extra hard drive (or buy a bigger drive for your Thinkpad and use the hand-me-down drive) and use this extra drive, inside this enclosure, as a portable backup drive for your important documents which you should have more than one copy of.

Plus it's a fun toy...
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Fanfold Paper
Monicker

Accident Protection coverage is all well and good, but Selectron seems to have some issues with abuse of process.  A customer shouldn't need to pay "protection money" to avoid a hassle when they did nothing wrong and there was no accident.
Punch Card
The_Fire_Snake

Re:

Monicker,
   You took the words right out of my mouth.  Hellborne, I understand your point about how an accident warranty can be a useful thing to get, but this is different.  If you are required to get an accident warranty, even if you don't want to, so that you can get regular service, it is wrong.  I see this no different than extorsion or blackmail. 

I have read numerous posts about this disputed spill allegation from the depot.  I am sure brasscupcakes did not spill anything on the machine.  Someone at the depot is playing a nasty game so they can pocket some extra cash on this side.  Lenovo should deal with this situation immediately.  It will cause Lenovo to get a very bad reputation.