Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Babylonian

Internet is EXTREMELY slow after computer has been in sleep mode (T61)

Pretty self-explanatory. I did a system restore to factory settings recently and ran the ThinkVantage system restore tool and updated everything. Now, whenever I put my computer to sleep, it fluctuates between going around 3 MB/s 5% of the time and around 0.01 MB/s the other 95% of the time when it's woken up. The only temporary fix is rebooting.
Punch Card
Babylonian

Re: Internet is EXTREMELY slow after computer has been in sleep mode (T61)

Help!!
Punch Card
Babylonian

Will someone tell me why my post isn't getting a response? Am I just not providing enough information or something?
Community Moderator
rkawakami

Could be that nobody else has this problem or else it's such a common problem that a little Googling might help. There's also some information missing that might provide some clues:

- what operating system are you using?
- are we talking wired or wireless?
- if wireless, what's the model/part number of the wireless card being used?
- also if wireless, have you tried a wired (ethernet) connection to see if it's also affected?
----------
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request
Punch Card
Babylonian

rkawakami wrote:
- what operating system are you using?
- are we talking wired or wireless?
- if wireless, what's the model/part number of the wireless card being used?
- also if wireless, have you tried a wired (ethernet) connection to see if it's also affected?

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2.

It's a wireless internet connection (can't believe I left that out!).

The card I'm using is a "11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter".

I recreated the problem by putting my computer to sleep and waking it up, and the wireless is still practically non-functional. Plugging in an ethernet connection, though, works.

Time to reboot my computer again so I can use wireless! :smileysad:

Community Moderator
rkawakami

While I don't have a T61 to verify this, I understand that there can be some problems with wireless and sleep mode if Windows' power management settings are set to "maximum power savings". Try the "maximum performance" profile and see if that helps.
----------
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Punch Card
Babylonian

rkawakami wrote:
While I don't have a T61 to verify this, I understand that there can be some problems with wireless and sleep mode if Windows' power management settings are set to "maximum power savings". Try the "maximum performance" profile and see if that helps.

It's currently set to "Home/Office Desk". Switching it to "maximum performance" simply changes "turn off monitor", "turn off hard disks", "system standby", and "system hibernates" from their respective times to "never".

I guess that would technically solve the problem, but only because my computer would never fall asleep ever again. The current settings I have are fine because they turn the monitor off after 5 minutes and keep my battery alive for a decent amount of time.

I think upgrading to Service Pack 3 would help, but every time I'm prompted for the download, I'm not plugged into a power source and it refuses to do the update. Is there a way to trigger the update manually the next time I'm plugged into the wall?

Thanks!

Community Moderator
rkawakami

[ Edited ]
Yes, if the power settings have it such that "sleep mode" is disabled, then you're right; you shouldn't have a problem :smileyhappy:

I'm more interested in what happens if you explicitly force the system into sleep mode (via Fn+F4) and then wake it up. Do you still have problems with wireless performance? If not, then I'd suggest manually changing the Windows system standby setting to whatever you desire (5 minutes).
Message Edited by rkawakami on 07-20-2009 12:03 AM
----------
Ray Kawakami
Punch Card
Babylonian

rkawakami wrote:
Yes, if the power settings have it such that "sleep mode" is disabled, then you're right; you shouldn't have a problem :smileyhappy:

I'm more interested in what happens if you explicitly force the system into sleep mode (via Fn+F4) and then wake it up. Do you still have problems with wireless performance?

I just tested this out, and yeah, forcing sleep mode through the key shortcut results in the same problem.

Any idea how I could grab SP3? I heard from a decently reliable source that it might help.

Punch Card
faraz

Most issues are related to software. When I downloaded ie8 on my T500, my internet took a dump too.

This may fix it: Goto Tools->Options->Advance->Reset