Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
peterulrich
Accepted Solution

Lenovo T61 Network adapters not recognized. No Internet connection available by CAT5 or Wireless

I have a T61

There is a Intel 82566MM adapter installed in it.

and an Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Windows XP

Windows IE 7 installed 

I can see my Network Adapters in the Device Manager but when I run a cmd ipconfig

none of the adapters are found.

This problem happened after a Lenovo Update that automatically presented itself to my system on Monday.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 351
Solutions: 135

Re: Lenovo T61 Network adapters not recognized. No Internet connection available by CAT5 or Wireles

Hello,

Can you try logging into your computer with a different user account and also in Safe Mode with Networking Support to see if the problem still occurs in these modes?  That will help determine if the problem is specific to your account or the entire operating system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
peterulrich

Re: Lenovo T61 Network adapters not recognized. No Internet connection available by CAT5 or Wireles

This is a single user system so the only ways that I know to open the system are a) through my standard process or b) in 'safe mode'.  When I opened in safe mode it would not allow the use of the Lenovo tools to connect to the internet.  I restarted the machine then thought to try the CAT5 connection but Windows is not responding to the f8 command. (Note: when I was able to start in the Safe Mode it did show two users on my system Administrator and then my name.  I opened in Safe Mode in my name.)  When I was in the 'safe mode', however, I did do a cmd>ipconfig and got the following message:

"An internal error occurred: The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft Product support services for further help.

Additional information: unable to query host name."

More thoughts?

Fanfold Paper
peterulrich

Note:  I just got the T61 started in Safe Mode and was able to connect the Cat 5 Cable.  The Laptop is still not recognizing the internet.  I am hoping either you or a Lenovo expert can give me some guidance.  I should know better than to 'update' a system that is not having problems.

Punch Card
cbonilla

This worked for me, quoting from an earlier pos of mine. My T60 was stuck in perpetually "avcquiring network address" (wired or wireless) If that is your problem try this:

I think I may have found the fix. According to microsoft the problem can arise when winsock gets corrupted, either as part of a service pack upgrade or when NORTON is uninstalled.

The fix can be found at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259#FixItForMeAlways

on that page you will find a section titled "fix ir for me" This will rewrite your winsock file. So far it seems to have worked

Cross you fingers.

You can see if this is the problem by going

control panel

adminstrative tools

component services

services local

and then manually start DHCP CLIENT (and if needed) WIRELESS ZERO CONFIGURATION

You should be ablre to connect then

Fanfold Paper
peterulrich

I first tried to restart DHCP CLIENT and WIRELESS ZERO CONFIGURATION.  Both said that they were started but there was an option to restart so I did that.  Didn't seem to have an impact.  Went for an Internet connection and still no luck.

Downloaded the Microsoft Fix, ran the fix on the 'non-performing' machine and still no luck.

Question.  This all happened after a Lenovo Update.  Shouldn't Lenovo be willing to step in here and help with a fix?  My hope was to get a Lenovo Tech to respond on this discussion group but it doesn't seem to be happening.  I have not used this board before and am not sure if there is a way to 'flag' a posting in a way that Lenovo will pay attention.

Punch Card
cbonilla

All I can say is that after endlessly reinstalling the thinkpad drivers I made this work using windows wirelss configuration utility and the winsock fix. Once I had it working I left well enough alone and didn't reinstall the thinkpad drivers. Mine happened after an Xp service pack install
Fanfold Paper
peterulrich

Unfortunately, I am not a 'core' computer guy.  When you say that you replaced ThinkPad drivers, are there a lot of them? I assume that you get them from either Lenovo download center or Microsoft? Can you give me an idea of what drivers I would need to download and then load onto the down system?  With that I can try that as well.  What I don't want to do is reload or delete something that renders the system 'crashed'. 

Note: If I am reloading drivers do the new files just write over what might be the 'bad files'?

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I've seen (something like) this several times on T61s running XP after an update.  Somehow the hooks between the drivers and network stack get screwed up.

My fix has been to go to device manager and uninstall both network drivers, then have the machine scan for hardware changes and reload the drivers.  It didn't require downloading new drivers, just letting the uninstall/reinstall sort things.

Maybe you've already tried this somewhere up-thread?  If so, nevermind...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
peterulrich

Z.  Haven't tried this just yet.  Being an advanced novice at this can you be a little more specific on the "network drivers" that need to be uninstalled?  Want to make sure that I don't do anything that stops the system from working.

P.