Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ATEN

Lenovo T61 boot issue

I have a T61 that won't boot without first unplugging the cmos battery.

After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the system boots and will reboot as often as I ask it to.

However if I shut down then it will not boot again until the cmos battery is disconnected/reconnected.

Occasionally after an unplug the boot screen would state the bios was corrupt. But after loading defaults it would boot.

I did update the bios from a bootable cd and the corrupt message has not come back.

But the issue still remains. System will not cold boot unless first unplug/plug the cmos battery.

So I again unplug/plug the cmos battery and I booted to a diagnostic/burnin cd.

After 3 hours no errors...

So anyone have any ideas? 

I think I'm down to three options:

1 - New keyboard - its a stretch but power button is in the keyboard assembly

2 - Replace CMOS battery

3 - Replace motherboard.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Lenovo T61 boot issue

I'd vote for the cheapest and easiest first :smileyhappy:

That battery goes for around $3US w/free shipping if you look around.  It's easy to remove the palm rest to get access.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: Lenovo T61 boot issue

ATEN wrote:

So anyone have any ideas? 

I think I'm down to three options:

1 - New keyboard - its a stretch but power button is in the keyboard assembly

2 - Replace CMOS battery

3 - Replace motherboard.

If your interested in the easiest and cheapest diagnosis, I have all three of these items, if you want I can send you a cmos battery and a slightly damaged/blemished (but fully functional) keyboard to test your system, between the two it could answer a lot of your questions. I also have some perfect keyboards, but no point in buying a keyboard you might not need. If you would like my help, send me a PM with your location and I'll figure out how much it would cost to ship you a k/b and battery.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)