Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
victorg

Lenovo Thinkpad Protection keyboard

Hi,

Following problem:

The "M" key from my T61p laptop broke on sunday and today I've called the technical support (in Austria -> i live in Austria and the laptop was bought from here) and it was told me that the "broken" key is not covered (anymore) by the warranty and that I can get it repaired on behalf of the Thinkpad Protection. What's the difference? Warranty: Lenovo sends a new keyboard and I must change it myself. TPP: The laptop will be picked-up and send in Germany for "repairs" (changing a key!!!) and then send back to me (about 2 Weeks -> this is inacceptable for a key!).

Can someone help me with this or give me some advices what should I do next?

2 weeks without the laptop is way too much for me!

P.S: After the phone conversation I've tried to reach the technical support via e-mail(to clarify somehow the situation) but apparently this is not possible in Austria! As I know lenovo "must" offer "warranty support" via e-mail too..

thanks very much,

Victor G

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Protection keyboard

the warranty covers mfg. defects not accidential damage a broken key is not mfg. defect when I've had a part fail they send it to me but when I have an accident and break something I have to send it to depot for repair if the keyboard had failed they would send you one

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Paper Tape
victorg

hm.

i didn't damaged my keyboard! i'm working in an office, not a construction site! maybe the defect is from the material . who knows ? i think lenovo can't demonstrate that this isn't a mfg. defect; nor do I. my problem is that i see no sense to send the "whole" laptop there for 2 weeks for a key!

i've read the TPP agreement and there is not specified something like this. the only thing that is specified is that the defect CRU's are send to the customer!

what should I do now? should i sue lenovo ?

GMAC-R60

[ Edited ]

you said " What's the difference? " I was just pointing out the difference the key would not be covered under the regular warranty but if you have thinkpad protection it should be covered under the protection warranty it is a CRU part they should send it to you I would call again and I didn't implied that you broke it "i didn't damaged my keyboard! i'm working in an office, not a construction site!"

Regards,
GMAC
802.11n
sktn77a

As of about 6 months ago, detached keys were covered under the USA/International warranty.  How about calling back and hoping you get someone else.  Its a judgement call if the broken key is a defect or user abuse. 

Keith
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

victorg,

Let's look into this.  It would seem to me that this could just be a warranty defect and it would make sense to send you a keyboard - even if TPP, it would seem to make sense to send keyboard.

Can you send me a PM with your system model type and serial number (so we know exactly which model, what keyboard it has, and confirm the warranty) and also your contact information - name, address and phone?

Let's see what we can do!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
victorg

@ : sorry for my negative reaction. at the phone it was told me that if the tpp comes in discussion then i must send my laptop -> which is not true for CRU but the guy had no idea ...

@ sktn77a: the guy at the phone told me the same (with the 6 months). the laptop was bought 2 years ago -> changes to warranty cannot be applied for products bought before the change... at least not in austria as i know

@ 

GMAC-R60

glad to here things are going better

Regards,
GMAC
Paper Tape
yaakov

[ Edited ]

Hello Mark,

I hope this messege find you properly. I read your post for the thread regarding the keyboard protection.

I spilled some water on my X220T keyboard and it stoped working afterward. When I sent it to a local service, they said my keyboard is not covered by my warranty (which is not expired) and charged me more than $200 to replace it. After I found that some keys of the new keyboard still do not work properly, they told me the motherboard is the problem and suggest me to replace my motherboard. Moreover, they told me the motherboard is not covered by my warranty as well.

I felt this is a little bit suspicious, so I did some search on this and found this thread.

Could you give me some detailed explanation on this? Is my keyboard covered by my warranty? And how about the motherboard? What should I do in order to get my laptop fixed? All my important files are stored in it!!!

My laptop is a X220 Tablet and I bought it in Sept 2011. 

Thank you for your time and help. Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards.

Hao Jiang

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

The OP user have ThinkPad Protection warranty, which covers accidental damages like water spill and drops, etc.

Standard return to base warranty that most ThinkPads come with, only cover for manufacturing defects and problems due to the internal parts failing within the warranty periods.

Any damages resulting from water spill, drops or misuse are not covered by standard warranty.

P.S. please remove the serial number from view.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft