Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: MEMORY UPGRADE FOR WIN 7 ULTIMATE

The faster ram won't give you any advantage at all, as my friend Lead_Org points out, your system board will run them at the slower speed. However if you're a person who "thinks ahead", in a couple years if your thinkpad dies or becomes obsolete, the faster ram will have more applications, higher possiblility of of resale or use in another laptop. That is the only advantage I can think of, but from what I've seen, the faster ram is cheaper.

I'm currently running 2x2GB in my Thinkpad T61, kingston valueline. I got them about two years ago for less then $20 each with rebate (great buy back then).

I'd be glad to get you the article on unlocking the windows memory translation licensing, but I believe the article was written about WinXP, and my best advice is if you're thinking about doing it is DON"T. The author of the article even stated that as soon as he installed a non microsoft driver the system became unstable. 

If you want a real working 32bit windows version that will handle 8GB of ram then see if you can find Windows "DataCenter" edition. 

The 64bit server 2008 version allows for upto two terabytes of ram.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2008-r2-datacenter.aspx

The 32bit server 2003 version allows upto 64GB of ram, and the 64bit version allows upto 512GB Ram

http://www.petri.co.il/overview_of_windows_server_2003_data_center_edition.htm

Server 2003 is a windows XP user interface and the latest service pack uses the same kernel that Vista uses, or more percisely, vista uses the server 2003 kernel.

Windows Seven uses the Server 2008 kernel.

Please don't quote me on this because microsoft likes to change things at their leasure and forces the rest of the world to scramble to adapt, which is beyond arrogant and rude in my opinion. Just because they are the worlds most popular operating system, they think they can write the rulebook. One example, your harddrive as "directories" not "folders", then one day Microsoft decides to rename them and forces every software publisher world wide to revise all their documents because no 60yo grandmom has a clue what your talking about if you tell her to open your document directory (a trivial example, but you get the idea).

I'll try to return with the article if I can find it quickly, if I don't post it within a day or so, send me a PM, but hopefully I can find it and be back in minutes.

TuuS

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Bit Torrent
TuuS

*sorry for double post, but I want to keep these subjects separate*

The article I was referring to is based on Vista, not XP so that's good news for you, but I'm going to say this one more time just so we don't have people running off and trying this...

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Licensed Memory in 32-Bit Windows Vista

Geoff Chapell proves that 32bit Windows Vista has code for an address manager to translate ram addresses above the 4GB limit.

If you want to have fun and experiment, then I'd say sure, why not, but in order to get Vista to allow you to use the memory address translation code, you have to disable other code that's necessary to maintain a stable working environment. You'll also imediately break your product activation. This can be circumnavigated fairly easily, but I'm not inclined to teach people how to bypass windows product activation or hack their operating system. This code is designed for commercial customers running state of the art servers and they won't even sell you the datacenter edition if you're not an OEM partner. I have seen it on some filesharing sites, but downloading and using it would be highly illegal, so don't do it.

Now, an important question: Why do you assume you won't be able to run your 32bit apps on 64bit windows?

The "Amd x86-64 extension to Intel x86 architexture" (AMD64) is fully backwards compatible with 32bit processors.  

The core2 duo and i3, i5 and i7 intel chips don't use Intel IA-64, which was Intels version of 64bit processors, but they aren't compatible with 32bit OS or Apps. Instead they use EM-64T, which is Intels brand of AMD x86-64, which is backwards compatible.

I run 64bit windows versions on all my computers that will support it, and 90% of the apps I use are 32bit. The only major difference is that a 32bit app cannot address more then 2GB of ram. Some apps (google chrome for example) manages to bypass this by running multiple processes. Try opening Google Chrome browser and open a dozen or more web pages, then open TaskManager and count how many "chrome.exe" processes you have running. I'm not a software engineer, but I must admit it was cleaver. In addition, you can have a fatal crash on google chrome and it won't always take down the entire browser. My other favorite browser (mozilla firefox) had serious crashing problems a while back and they finally created a separate process to run their plugins (plugin container). It will allow a plugin (adobe flash for example) to crash without bringing down the entire browser, but Google went about ten steps further and you can even force some of the processes to crash and watch to see which tab/window/s each brings down. I've also managed to get Chrome to use over 3GB of ram, just to prove to myself that it can be done.

Enjoy reading that article, and my best advice is what I posted earlier. Setup a harddrive partition and install 64bit windows, then see if all your apps will run. If you do have some that won't run, you can try running them in combatibility mode, but I've never had any recent (less then 5-10yo) apps that I can't run under vista or Seven x64.

TuuS

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Fanfold Paper
Nomac4me

Taking Lead_Org timely advice/warning, I've now ordered 2x Crucial PC6400 RAMs! directly from them. My sincere thanks to TuuS for all your immensely valuable info you have provided me & others. I will dwell into the articals & links over the weekend.

I think I'll settle with the 4GB setup for the time being. I will perhaps try upgrade when I have gained enough experience & confidence. As you & Geoff Chappel have pointed out, trying to squeeze  more bits out  from a 32bit system could be futile & unneccessary for the system altogether..So, I'll tread carefully. The amount of tweeking, configuration & technical knowledge is beyond my ability atm.

Thanks guys for all your help & support..

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Yes, it is a futile task considering you already have a x86-64 processor. An OS upgrade is the way to go.

I'm thinking about posting some of this info in our knowledgebase website. If anyone notices any important issues I left out regarding memory limitations on 32 and 64bit windows versions, send me a PM and I'll consider it for publishing.

TuuS