Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Calabrache

Missing association for the device manager

the t61p was very slow to start and had several problems when put to sleep - service would no resume correctly. I realised the tvtsche.exe was also using up to 100% of resources. Under the lenovo site a update is available which seems to fix the problem. But while installing it crashed and since then when i use Control Panel\System and Maintenance\System device manager is say the devmgmt.msc is not associated and i shall create an association under the set association of the control panel. But the association exists and most amazing the file which is located under windows\system32\devmgmt.msc when i double click it does start the device manager. How can i fix it and get the control panel to load directly the device manager. All other links are ok.

Second question : what is tctsched for. I reckon it is a scheduler, but can i see the tasks that are scheduled by it ? If yes where ?

Thanks in advance
goretsky
Topics: 18
Kudos: 343
Solutions: 129

Re: Missing association for the device manager

Hello,

I did a quick search and found this page of fixes for file association fixes with Microsoft Windows XP on Microsoft MVP Doug Knox' web site.  Perhaps that will work for you?  If you are running Windows Vista, I would suggest checking with them before running it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
Punch Card
Calabrache

Thanks, there are some interesing stuff on this site. I may have missread you, but actually when i access the device manager via the control panel it seems the link is read as inexistant. If i use another path control panel - control panel home - system and maintenance - administrative tools - services it does give me access to the service. My question was how to recover this functionality directly in the control panel - maintenance system menu. Thanks in advance
goretsky

Hello,
I think I understand the problem now.

Can you tell me what the complete and exact message is that you see when you open the Control Panel and select System Maintenance → System from inside it?  Knowing that would be helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
Punch Card
Calabrache

OK, thanks very much here are more information – hope they might be useful. When I launch the control panel – classic view – system – device manager, the message is C:\windows\sytem32\devmgmt.msc. This file does not have a program associate with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set association panel.

• Under Control panel – classic view – default program – associate a file type or a protocol with a specific program, I look under MSC there is the ms management console defined
  • If I go under C:\windows\sytem32 and double click on devmgmt.msc it does ask for the uac confirmation with C:\windows\sytem32\mmc.exe C:\windows\sytem32\devmgmt.msc as parameters and launches it.
  • Under control panel – control panel home – system and maintenance – administrative tools – services it does ask for the uac confirmation with C:\windows\sytem32\mmc.exe C:\windows\sytem32\devmgmt.msc as parameters and launches it.

It looks like the access from the control panel – classic view has been lost. Many thanks in advance

Does that helps ?

goretsky

Hello,

I found a similar page, but with fixes specifically for Microsoft Windows Vista here.  Perhaps the solution for broken .MSC file associations listed there will work for you.

Do you have any idea when the file association might have stopped working, such as after a Windows Update or installing an application?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Punch Card
Calabrache

the file association stoppend working after installing schedulerupdater.exe
Thanks for the site, i'll look into and revert if it does help

Regards
Punch Card
Calabrache

Re: Missing association for the device manager (case closed)

hi again, i did install the msc according instructions and it works!!
many thanks
I'll keeep the site.
Kind regards