Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
rc41456
Accepted Solution

My Hard Drive Stopped - Help!

After a horrific blue screen memory dump, my hard drive stopped working. (T61 7658)

The HDD does a intermitent clicking sound.

When I turn on the computer, the BIOS system starts but there is no sign that the Operating system starts. I run the BIOS HDD diagnostics and the result is :

Pass: Controller diag

Error Code 0000 Read Verification failed. 

1. Does it mean that my HDD is useless?

2. Is there a way to recover the info?

3. If I buy a new disk, how can I re-install my windows vista (using the license that originally came with my T61)? 

I appreciate a prompt help.

Thanks much,

RC

Token Ring
rheath

Re: My Hard Drive Stopped - Help!

The hdd has died if all you get is a click and bios hdd diag returned the read verification error. If under Warraty, call Lenvo Tech Support at 1-800-IBM-SERV.  They will be able to send you a hdd and the recovery media to get you back to factory. If out of Warranty, Get the fru from T/S and then order the recovery media at a cost of 45.00 plus s/h and local taxes.

As to the data on the drive, there are companies that do recovery of data, but they are expensive.

Blue Screen Again
rc41456

THANKS A LOT!!
Punch Card
jasondarla

If you can get your hands on a copy(download) of ubuntu live cd then you can boot from the CD and perhaps recover data from the drive using the ubuntu.
T61P(6459-CTO) T9300 @ 2.5 GHz, 4g ram, Quadro FX 570M, Vista Bus. 64Bit, 160gig 7200 rpm HD, WSXGA disp.