Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del

NEED HELP with T30-2367 BIOS and ECP for Linux OS's

Hello to all,

First posting. I need a little help here please.

I currently have Ubuntu Linux v8.04 installed. The current BIOS on this machine is v2.10-(for Windows). I recently purchased this laptop used, put a new 250GB HDD in it and installed Ubuntu. I'm confused about which BIOS and ECP update(s) I need for my ThinkPad T30-2367. The recommended BIOS version for Linux OS's is v2.02. The recommended ECP version is v1.07. Herein lies the problem; the Lenovo webpage for ECP v1.07 states "This version of Embedded Controller Program will only work with BIOS Version 2.08 or higher.". Lenovo's on site info relative to these recommendations is conflicting! Any advice about this conflict and what I can or should do about it?

Another issue/concern is my inability to estalish/configure my new wireless cardbuss network card. First I need to update the BIOS and ECP for Linux compatability, then I may need help with the wireless card configuration. The card is a 'TRENDnet TEW-421PC'. Linux compatability shows this card was installed and working on Ubuntu

Any help on these matters will be appreciated.

Regards,

Visible Spirit

PS: I have to leave today but I'll return later for any responses. Thanks.

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

Re: NEED HELP with T30-2367 BIOS and ECP for Linux OS's

Welcome to the forum!

I've ran both Mint and Mandriva on my last T30 with BIOS 2.10 and no issues whatsoever.

I really can't be of much help with the wireless card though, but if you install Intel 2200BG it will work pretty well in most distros, and they're only $15 or so on eBay...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
thinkpadpro

[ Edited ]
Run latest EVERYTHING. I have to quad boot OS X, Ubuntu, XP and 7. Ubuntu runs fine with 2.10 and latest embedded controller. At first, there used to be conflicting issues with the T30's bios and ACPI/Power. Latest bios works just fine though. This is coming from a guy who runs OS X/Ubuntu on a thinkpad, where BIOS and controllers are everything to get it running. Also, you could go for a cheap Broadcom b/g card off ebay. There cheap and very good in terms of signal. Supported by Ubuntu, OS X and Windows nativly. Intel cards are always a pain driver wise.
Message Edited by thinkpadpro on 05-24-2009 09:54 PM
X41T: Dead from a power surge during a BIOS Flash!
Ctrl-Alt-Del

[ Edited ]

Hi George,

Thanks for the welcome!  As well, thanks for the input about your experience, and the advice relative to the wireless card.

-----------

Hi thinkpadpro,

Thanks for your input and advice as well!

------------

Apparently, I was confused by the recommendation posted on the ThinkWiki site. *looks for a rock to crawl under* This is what happens when one gets caught up in a research session consisting of various websites/sources within numerous tabs open on the same subject and burning the midnight oil in the process. Not once mind you... but 3 nights in a row! I dont know how I got the two sites confused, ...then again, I don't know how to walk on water either!!! Embarrassed about my oversite is puting it mildly.

I must make a correction related to my wireless cardbuss in my original posting above as well. When I was in the store to purchase a wireless cardbus, the clerk pulled up a listing for this particular cardbuss on Linux Compatable [dot] org showing that someone had gotten it working under Ubuntu Gutsy using ndiswrapper and the factory Windows driver off the CD. I was just there looking for the referrence, and I'll be dipped-(in something!) if I can find a listing for it anywhere now!

The system recognizes / sees the card-(with the Windows driver via ndiswrapper), but I can't get it too configure a connection or "light up" if you will. I'm clueless and on the verge of returning this card for a known card that works on this system.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Visible_Spirit

Message Edited by Visible_Spirit on 05-27-2009 06:40 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del

More questions I have.

1) Will a T30 boot off a USB port?

2) If so, does anyone know if I can use an "Iomega Zip Drive" or a "USB-Flash drive" to update the ECP?

3) Should I use a CD; and if so could someone explain what I need to do to get it to be bootable and install the ECP update, or will the system read the file/program and auto install it from a CD?

4) Does anyone know if I need-(or can even use) any of the other hardware-driver / software that basically supports Windows OS's on my Linux laptop?

I don't have a diskette drive-(floppy drive) for this machine. The BIOS is up to date at v2.10 . The ECP however is still at v1.02 and needs updated.

I ask these questions because of the Lenovo dwnld page warning ...that basically ones mobo can be trashed if things don't go as expected or intended during the update process. Also looking for confirmatoin of anyone who's done this via any one of the ways suggested above.

Any help ...will be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Regards,

Visible_Spirit

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

1) No, it won't.

2) No, it won't boot from either/or.

3) I've never done it that way, but assume it's possible.

4) I don't have an answer for this one.

Any BIOS/EC update or downgrade bears a certain risk. If your machine is running well, leave it as is...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del

Thanks for your response George.

I had my hopes up for the ability to boot from a USB port on this machine, ...but I didn't expect it was possible considering the T30's production era / age. (If there's an update/upgrade available for the T30 that allows this function/feature outside replacing the mobo, please inform me.) :smileywink:

-----

I realize there's an inherent risk when updateing any BIOS/ECP. And yes, my rule of thumb generally is "if it isn't ain't broke, don't fix it!". That said though, I want to update the ECP to; 1) make sure I have the latest update(s) for erorr fixes and compatibility reasons; 2) too eliminate any possibility that the outdated ECP currently installed may, for whatever reason, be effecting the ability of my wireless card to actually connect/light-up.

So,... this brings me back to question # 3 for a possible ECP update:

a) Can I update the ECP via a CD (assuming the file will be automatically read and installed from the CD at bootup)?

b) Will this work or do I need to make the CD bootable, and if so, how?

c) If I don't have a floppy/diskette drive for this machine, how do I go about updating these areas without having to go out and purchase one?

The purpose of asking about other Windows drivers/software update(s) available here on Lenovos site for the T30 was basically in referrence to the DOS PC Card/PCMCIA driver, the PCI CardBus Controller, and/or any of the Mini PCI wireless drivers/software available and whether or not they can be applied/used regarding the current inability to establish a wireless connection via the TRENDnet TEW-421pc 32-Bit CardBus Type II Card. (FWIW this card is 32 bit capable/compatible.)

Below is the pci spec output from the terminal with the wireless card inserted in the T30:

xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 42)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)
xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx:~$

Again, any help or ideas to resolve these issues will be appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Visible_Spirit

Ctrl-Alt-Del

[ Edited ]

BUMP......

Can anyone help with knowledge/experience upgradeing BIOS's and ECP's on these (or any) laptops without a diskette/floppy drive?

Can anyone help with my wireless card problem?

Note: Once I safely get the ECP upgraded to the latest version I'm hopeing this will resolve part if not all of the problem with the wireless card functioning. Anyone out there with knowledge or experience with this scenario/problem, I'd like your help please.

Thanks,

Visible_Spirit

Message Edited by Visible_Spirit on 05-31-2009 02:45 PM