Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable for some T, X, R models and batteries

[ Edited ]

All,

I realize batteries can be a sensitive subject, especially when they don't last as long as we generally expect, etc.

I posted about this extended service program for qualifying batteries because I believe it will help a number of our members here, and I have seen messages from some that it did, more notably in other threads.   I can't respond to every post asking for an exception for this battery or that battery that didn't qualify because either it's the wrong part number, or the battery was not found to be failing in this particular way by the tool. 

If you have a battery that qualifies by P/N, and has these errors, or is shown as poor condition in power manager, but does not qualify initially through the tool, you could try performing the battery reset function in power manager several times in a row and then re-run the detection tool on the web to see if your battery now reports in a way that qualifies.

For other battery part numbers, standard warranty terms apply - 12 month warranty on new batteries and 90 days on service parts.   Please contact service for warranty replacements.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

crb
Paper Tape
crb

I have a T60 with a battery FRU number of 92P1141. The web check is saying I do not qualify because the battery is older than 12 months, which is true.  However, it sounds like this issue should trump the standard 12 month warranty.  Is that true, and if so, how should I proceed?

Token Ring

As Mark said in post right abouve yours you need to install Power manager. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62928.html

Once installed preform a reset

Lenovo Power Manager > Advanced > Battery Tab > Battery Maintenance > Preform Reset

I had to preform 4 resets before the battery biagnostic tool saw the bad battery and I was able to get a recall replacement. The reset build a log of the battery problem and the diagnostic tool uses that log to decide if you get a replacement.

crb
Paper Tape
crb

Thanks Southpaw - the issue isn't that it can't hold the charge, the issue is it is being idenfied as outside the original 12 months warranty.  I think I misread the first time around - it says the original warranty is extended by 12 months, and I think this battery is older than 24 months.  Still. I have had maintained hundreds of other IBM ThinkPads and they have kept their battery life well past this, so it would be a gesture of good faith on Lenovo's part to replace all the batteries, regardless of warranty dates.

Token Ring

Lenovo didn't extend the battery warranty the suppiler had a bad batch of cells and is covering the cost of recall for cells that fail in a specific fashion.

IMHO Lenovo should find a supplier that backs up their cells with a 3 year warranty I will pay the 20% premium. Until then we are stuck with the one year warranty.

Paper Tape
abedin

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with the t61p with battery FRU: 42t4511. I am not able to charge it nor it is usable... and its not in in the battery progra so i cannot understand why it is malfunctning exactly like the ones in your table. and I also see that more people are affected with different FRU nrs than those who are listed..

thanks

Paper Tape
CaptainDon

I need some help. My T61 is 17 months old and uses a FRU 92P1141 battery, which is on the list. Not having used the battery until 14 months after the purchase (May 2009)  I found the battery would hold a charge for only ten minutes before shutting down. I called Lenovo support and all I got was a suggestion to purchase a replacement battery for something over $200.

When I heard of the Special Service Program (not a recall) I contacted Lenovo for a free replacement and was told by the support manager someone above him had declined my request. No reason was given for this response.

I am running Windows 7 RC1 and the diagnostics program ran OK the first time it was executed and told me my battery was not part of this program.  Since then it has failed to run.

I cannot understand this refusal by Lenovo. I have a case number (40L2JBK) opened in May 2009 with a low battery capacity problem, my laptop is one of the units affected (T61) and my battery is one of the three listed on their website. (92P1141)

Can anyone suggest another approach to Lenovo that would help me get a replacement battery?

Don

Token Ring

RE: > Can anyone suggest another approach to Lenovo that would help me get a replacement battery?

Yes read this post.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/NEW-Battery-Tip-Applicable-for-some-T-X-...

Paper Tape
devtonyt

[ Edited ]

How do we go about getting particular batteries evaluated for having this same issue?

I have a 42T4511 battery that was working great (the charge consistently lasted over 3 hrs) and then, all of a sudden, I get this error message from one day to the next.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that a battery that was working so well is now useless - I would even be happier with a battery that didn't retain as much charge than with one that simply refuses to charge for no apparent reason.

Like many others, my battery is also out of the 12 month warranty period. Based on everything I've been reading, it sounds like more batteries are affected than just those listed - perhaps just not as many have failed yet?

I should mention that this happened after I left my laptop on sleep mode overnight, which drained the battery completely. This sounds like it would be similar to performing the reset function - which, again, indicates that the issue/reason for failure is similar even for batteries not listed in the recall.

Fanfold Paper
hha81667

Hi Don,

I had the same problem with Win7 and the diagnostics program (first time the program ran OK, but did not consider the battery to be eligible for a free replacement. After a battery maintenance, the diagnostic program failed to run).

I believe the issue with Win7 is because the battery is eligible for a free replacement, but the battery diagnostics program cannot submit the corresponding information when running under Win7.

Why do I believe so?

I simply plugged my old WinXP HDD and ran the diagnostics program again and voilà, my battery was now considered to eligible for a free replacement.

So if possible, run the battery diagnostics tool again with WinXP or Vista....

Cheers,

hha