Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
kash007

Re: !Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable for some T, X, R models and batteries

lead_org wrote:

Modern batteries no longer deteroriate slowly with time, they will drop a bit before going over the cliff.

Then how do you explain the fact that Lenovo is recalling (or whatever you want to call it) some of these batteries?  If it is normal, there shouldn't be any recall.

As many have pointed out, the FRUs that are not on the recall list are having exactly the same problems as the ones on the list.

Token Ring

The battery cell manufacturer is having a recall and Lenovo is just following through. The warranty insurace on the cell is carried by the cell manufacturer not Lenovo. Lenovo files for problems with batteries and if the manufacturer agrees on a recall then they issue one to customers. If the manufacturer say they see no problem then their is little Lenovo can do without doing a very costly private recall in this modern global low margin market that isn't possible.

Lenovo should extend to it's consumer customers the option to buy the 3 year battery warranty they offer to corporate customers.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

[ Edited ]

@Kash007, well some batteries only had 60 charge cycles and they already failed. To me that sounds abnormal. 

FRU recall list is just the one that constantly suffers these similar problems, obviously there would be other batteries that have also got the same problem. But Lenovo can't just because recall every batteries they ever made, because out of 1 million they sold, ten people jumped out and stated that they are having the same problem. 

Obviously, we are all would like to have a battery that lasts forever, but truth is that they do break down. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
darkbaronmx

I had a same problem with my T61, and my battery has FRU# 42T4511 :smileysad:

I call the IBM Electronic Service Call at 1-800-426-7378 and talk to a guy, he show me that I can recover my battery by this way:

- take out the battery and cord

- press power button 10 times and hold it at 11th time for 30 seconds

- after release, press it again 5 times and hold it at 6th time for 15 seconds.

- place the battery

but I do not sure that i heard exactly because i'm a forgeiner, i don't listening english very well. And i did not solve my problem.

So, anyone has a laptop which is still under warranty time, please call the phone number aboved again. If you can solve your problem, please come here and talk to us how to solve it. Thank you!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
kash007

SouthPaw wrote:

If the manufacturer say they see no problem then their is little Lenovo can do without doing a very costly private recall in this modern global low margin market that isn't possible.

Just because the recall is costly is no reason to not stand behind your product.  Every laptop manufacturer buys components from other companies. A component failure doesn't always happen because of a flaw in the component itself. It could be because of how the laptop manufacturer integrated it into their system. If Lenovo doesn't stand behind their product, there are many other options in this "modern global low margin market" and the customers will go elsewhere.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

So just because a couple of people is having problems you would have to do a recall across the entire range that sound like a flawed logic. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
meena

Re: T60 battery dead right after out of warranty

I've got the same error message as the batteries in recall "battery cannot be recharged" but my FRU part number is 42T4504, which is not listed. I also think this battery model should be included in the warranty and be replaced. I've got a T61.

I will also call Lenovo tomorrow and see what they say.

Paper Tape
obarriel

I have a T60p with a 9-Cell FRU#42T4511 and since 4 months ago I get the message "battery cannot be charged" and blinking ambar.
I have another T60 with a 6-cell battery FRU#92P1132,  I also get the message "battery cannot be charged "and here the problem is even worse because it makes my computer freeze after 1-2 min if I attach this battery, and can only recover the computer by rebooting. This battery one only has 27 cycles.

Why this batteries are not recalled? I think that both batteries are Sanyo, is there any problem with Sanyo batteries? I can understand  that a battery degrades with use and time, but I cannot understand that it deads from a day to another changing from delivering a decent autonomy to give 0.0 capacity. This particular batteries that have had very little use (I only marginally run my thinkpads on battery).

I have a much older T42p with a still working battery.

Token Ring

[ Edited ]

Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last around three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important if  it sat on shelf  for 2 years before you purchased it you only have around a year left.

So even if it has no cycles battey will be gone 3 years from manufacture date on pack.

I wish they put a non functional or disposal date on the packs.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
kash007

My battery was manufactured February 2008 and was first used in May 2008.  It had 160 cycles and went from 6 hour battery life in one day to dead the next day in October 2009.

@lead_org: It is not only a "couple" of people who are having this problem.  And if Lenovo does not want to do a full recall, they should at least acknowledge the fact that it is a defect causing this problem and offer complimentary batteries to people who experience this even if the battery FRU is not included in the list. Otherwise, a class action lawsuit will probably force them to include those FRUs in the recall.