Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
theshack1990

NEWBIE: screen replacement question

Hi  (i had posted this in the wrong forum)

I have a T43 and unfortunately, the screen cracked, rendering it unusable. I found someone selling a screen who states " it's an XGA LCD 14.1 screen which can be used for the T-40 series" I currently run ATI Graphics, though i'm not sure which version i have and can't check since the screen is cracked. Will this work? Are there some more specific questions i need to ask before buying? Do you folks need some more info from me? I am in complete uncharted waters here and can use all the help i can get and obviously don't want to waste money and time.

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it

Community Moderator
richk

Re: NEWBIE: screen replacement question

I have questions. Is it a whole assembly, or a panel? Is your old screen XGA or SXGA+?
Fanfold Paper
theshack1990

Good question, the puncture is in the panel producing a "burst" of colors,lines, paterns.....the assembly is all in excellent condition. I was looking to replace the whole screen, but i guess just the panel is what's broken, so not sure what to do here. Again, i'm a noob!

Also, how would i find out if my old one is XGA or SXGA?

Thanks!

Community Moderator
richk

What is the model number (from the bar code sticker on the back). It will have a format like 2686-XXX. If the 3 characters at the end are "CTO" (configured to order), I will also need the serial number (next to the model, like L3-XXXXX), but don't post it in the open forum. Send me a private message.
Fanfold Paper
theshack1990

Sure thing, i'll take a look when i get home tonight, Thanks!

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 795

Just make sure that you're buying a genuine IBM/Lenovo issued panel which must have a FRU number, regardless of the manufacturer of the actual screen, otherwise you might blow the motherboard.

Any genuine 14" panel from T4x/R5x series ThinkPads will work in your T43.

If you've never replaced the screen before, swapping an entire assembly might be a better idea...all "how to" bits are in the HMM:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-58791

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.