Support in other languages: 
pgz
Paper Tape
pgz

NTLDR is missing; Restore from Rescue & Recovery didn't fix

Traveling with a 6-month old T61, Win XP-Pro.  Worked fine in Delhi.  Flew to Kathmandu.  Comes up with NTLDR is missing, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart.  Used Rescue & Recovery (v.4)  to backup files onto a USB drive, then tried to restore the system from within the Rescue & Recovery pre-load workspace. The restore seemed to run succesfully.  But no luck - still comes up with NTLDR is missing.  What are my options at this point?
andyP
Topics: 164
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: NTLDR is missing; Restore from Rescue & Recovery didn't fix

It looks as though your MBR is damaged and needs to be repaired. If you can get hold of a Windows XP cd you can boot from it and run the repair option, or, if you have acces to a floppy you could try the Rescue and Recovery repair disk

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

pgz
Paper Tape
pgz

Thank you for your reply.

This machine runs XP Pro -- is it necessary to find XP Pro disks, or would any XP disks work?

Don't have a floppy drive.  Would writing the rescue disk from the link you supplied work on a CD?

andyP
Topics: 164
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Any flavour of 32 Bit XP will be OK.
The R&R repair tool needs to be run from floppy.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

pgz
Paper Tape
pgz

One more question - then I'll try to find some XP disks. 

After I enter recovery  (enter "r") it looks like I will arrive at an MSDOS style prompt and I should enter FDISK /MBR ??

This seems clear in www.computerhope.com for operating systems through Win 2000, but I'm not sure whether this is also the right way to go in XP.

Thanks!

-P.
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

try "fixboot" at the cli.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Blue Screen Again
RescueMe

Hi Andy,

I had the exactly same problem. The difference is:  Mine is Thinkpad R40, XP professional and I don't have a Windows XP CD. I just searched IBM website, I did not find any clue about where I can access to a floppy with R40. What am I going to do? I have spent 5 days trying to rescue my laptop with the backup in a USB hard drive, it does not work. I am exhausted. I'd very appreciate your help.

Thank you.  

Naijeen

Blue Screen Again
RescueMe

Hi,

I had the exactly same problem. I don't have XP cd, neither. I'd appreciate if you can tell me how you fixed your laptop. Did XP cd work? I am not good at computer. I don't understand what you mentioned about FDISK /MBR.

Thank you for your time.

Naijeen

Blue Screen Again
RescueMe

Hi,

I had the exactly same problem. The difference is:  Mine is Thinkpad R40, XP pro. Rescue and Recovery 3.1 and I don't have a Windows XP CD.

There is no clue about where I can access to a floppy with R40 on IBM website. I just found your reply but I don't understand what you said about " fixboot" at cli? What is cli and where can I access to fixboot? These sound too professional to me. Can you explain more?

I'd very appreciate your help.

Thank you.  

Naijeen