Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
rboverman

Need lenovo t61 Windows XP Pro installation disks

[ Edited ]

My pastor got a t61 from his daughter and they did not know any of the passwords.  Not knowing much about this, I searched and could not find any information that would let me get in the system to do anything.  I finally wiped  the hard drive clean.  I was able to get a Linux distribution loaded, and was able to get a Dell repair/installation disk to run, but there were several drivers missing and I could not get the machine to do anything. I despreately need to get this system going... I have worked several hours on it and even tried to install Win 8 final beta release, but I need a Windows operating system on it and I'm not sure that I will be able to get the drivers need for Win 8..... could someone please give me some assistance?

Blayne Overman

Moderator note; e-mail address removed to stop the spambots getting it

Fanfold Paper
rboverman

Re: Need lenovo t61 Windows XP Pro installation disks

I was able to get Win 8 Preview installed... but would like to know how to get back to Win XP Pro.

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can share.
Community SuperMod
sarbin

Recovery DVDs are your best bet. It couldn't hurt to try calling Lenovo support and asking to purchase them. You may be out of luck, on that avenue at least, if your machine is out of warranty.

Another avenue would be to get a winxp disk matching the COA on the underside of your machine and install using the license key on the sticker. You'd need to install all of the Lenovo drivers yourself, though, vs the factory image installed from an official recovery set.

hth.

fsm1.jpgEnglish English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearch (Advanced)Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Yoga2ProT420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.
Guru
hausman

sarbin wrote:

Recovery DVDs are your best bet. It couldn't hurt to try calling Lenovo support and asking to purchase them. You may be out of luck, on that avenue at least, if your machine is out of warranty.

If Lenovo still carries recovery media for T61/WinXP then he should be able to buy a set regardless of warranty status. But if not, there are 3rd parties who still sell them, e.g. IBM Lenovo Thinkpad Recovery T61 T61p Restore Disks. (They claim to be Lenovo and IBM business partners.)

sarbin

Great info, thanks!

rboverman, please take note.

Cheers!

fsm1.jpgEnglish English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearch (Advanced)Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Yoga2ProT420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.