Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
SimonHogan

New HDD, need to copy/transfer XP, etc off my old HDD

I've a T42 (T42 2373 - K2G) running XP Pro with a 40Gb HDD.  I also have a 120Gb HDD which I want to exchange for the 40 Gb.

I need to get everything from the 40Gb to the 120 Gb, including XP and the 'hidden' partitions.

How can I do this ?  I have no Recovery discs, but do have two other desktops to copy things to.

Cheers 

Blue Screen Again
amitie92

Re: New HDD, need to copy/transfer XP, etc off my old HDD

You have two options :smileyhappy:

1. Backup all of your partitions in your hard drive with Rescue and Recovery

2. Use programs such as one from Acronis or Norton to backup your hard drive

If you don't know how to use those, restore your computer to the factory state and you will be able to create product recovery media (Rescue and Recovery) for your computer.

zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

1. Burn recovery disks. Start -- All programs -- Access IBM -- Create Recovery disks. On T42 it has to be CDs, 7 of them.

2. Borrow/download an Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD. (You can download the full Acronis True image 15-day trial and burn the bootable CD from it if you can't find this CD separately.)

3. Either use Acronis to backup your whole C: partition to whatever external storage you have available or just get a USB enclosure for your old disk.

4. Install the new hard disk transferring the little metal caddy with its four screw from the old 40GB to the new 120GB drive. (In a USB enclosure the old disk doesn't need the caddy.)

5. Boot from the recovery disks setting up the new disk with a factory reset system but utilizing all additional space for the C: partition.

6. When it's ready to startup Windows in the new system, power off and boot from the Acronis rescue CD either restoring your earlier backup or copying the C: partition only from your old drive attached to the system.

Edit: ps the new drive has to be PATA (when T42 was new called ATA.) Newer SATA disks won't work in the T42.

pps Just remembered you CAN get to the new disk using only Acronis without using the IBM recovery disks on an XP T42. (I can't do that with my Vista T500.) See this excellent description by AndyP (hpa = pda = predesktop area.)

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-06-02 02:42 PM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Token Ring
LinYu

Simon,

It seems you've got all the help you may need for the purpose at hand. I wanted to add that I had a terrific experience doing a backup and restore with Acronis True Image Home 11.0 a couple of months ago. It is quite user friendly and if you choose to follow all the default settings you should be fine with your new HD.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Paper Tape
SimonHogan

Thanks very much for your help.  I'll let u know how it goes.
Paper Tape
SimonHogan

Cheers, I'll give these solution a whirl and let u know.
Paper Tape
SimonHogan

Hi.  Tried soem of the things you guys suggested, but cam up against a problem.  Rescue an Recover installed fine (after a bit of buggering about) but it had difficulty writing to the CR drive.  I tried just copying any old files to the CD  drive but no go.  I uses the same CD-RW disc in one of my other computers - no problem writing, reading, deleting.  Rewrote some files to the CD, put it in T42.  Read files fine, but although it claims to delete the files, it doesn't (they are still there).  Also tries to write but fails at the last post.  Deleted drivers from T42, and reloaded - still not working.  Ran PC Doctor - drive checks out fine, but still won't work. Reconfirmed that the media is fine on another computer (which has the same driver as the T42).

Any idea what the problem is ?

Thanks !

zilla

[ Edited ]

I don't understand what you are trying to do. (For instance why did you have to install RnR? Wasn't it already on the system? And are you using it to take backups on CD?! And is this the standard CD-RW/DVD read only combo that came with the T42?)

But if you are trying to burn recovery disks I would try with new CD-R disks. I am not at all sure the Create Product Recovery Media program can handle CD-RW disks on the T42.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-06-08 01:16 PM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Paper Tape
SimonHogan

Thanks, Zilla.  I couldn't find R & R either under Windows or by pressing 'Access IBM'.  So I checked out the downloads on the Lenovo support site and downloaded R&R version 3 (version 4 didn't cover the T42 according to the download instructions).  I am using the standard CD R/W drive and CD RW media.  Thanks for your tip, I'll try CR-R instead. 

But I do think I have a problem with the drive somewhere as it won't write to CD RW media which work elsewhere, and it doesn't erase (even though the utility claims it has !).

Cheers

zilla

SimonHogan wrote:

Thanks, Zilla.  I couldn't find R & R either under Windows or by pressing 'Access IBM'.

The T42 didn't use RnR. And it's not pressing the Access IBM key. It is going to Start -- All Programs -- IBM Access folder.

There you will find the backup recovery solution used by the T42 called Rapid Restore as well as what you need to burn the recovery disks, the program called Create recovery disks.

Just use that program to burn the 7 CDs. For backup there are better solutions than either IBM Rapid Restore or Thinkvantage RnR, for instance Acronis.