Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Pedrogaris
Accepted Solution

New IBM Hard Disk for T61p

[ Edited ]

Hello I want to improve my Hard Drive, I have a 160 gb Hitachi 7200 RPM.

I wanted to get a 500 gb Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM... But it is difficult to find, around here.

And in the way I found a 320 Hitachi 7200 RPM, FRU 42T1571

I liked the idea to try a Seagate, but any way I found on internet that Hitachi is faster... Is that true? What about the Samsung ones?

Is any brand compatible with the T61p?

May I like that Hitachi and also has a FRU, but I didn't found anywhere that buffer size, and that can make a difference.

Moderator note: Type added to subject line for clarity

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 26-04-2009 08:36 AM
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Re: IBM Hard Disk

In general, the T61p requires a 2.5" SATA hard drive with the standard 9.5mm height. You can utilize any size hard drive with either 4200RPM, 5400RPM, or 7200RPM spindle speeds with absolutely no problems.

Many times, the better hard drive is decided by opinion. One may consider the Seagate faster, while the other considers the Hitachi..........For me, if it works as expected, all is good.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Serial Port
Pedrogaris

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response, I just have another question

Is it possible to put a solid state drive in the PCMCIA? Or it has to go where now is the hard drive.

It can be nice to have one of those. But I use video so there is not enough room,

SO

I thought different options.

First it can be nice to know if the render can be faster or is just a matter of the processor

But anyway I use massive amount of space so the question is,

What can be faster if I get one ssd? To put there archives or the OS?

In one or another case may is possible to install the OS in the ultrabay and use the complete ssd for videos or install the OS in the SSD and some videos and use the ultrabay for adding space.  But how slower can be use ultrabay for videos? (I have a 7200 RPM hdd in the ultrabay) and is faster than USB drive but slower than the internal one.

Any of these combinations can be better than just getting a 320 gb 7200 RPM in the internal drive, and another in the ultrabay?

Can be a considerable safe of time while moving massive amount of videos?

(I know my english can be terrible, I hope you understan what I mean)

Message Edited by Pedrogaris on 04-25-2009 08:49 PM
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

[ Edited ]

I don't know much about SSD availability for PCMCIA slots, but you certainly can use a SSD as your main drive. You can then purchase the Ultrabay adapter and have a second hard drive [your 160GB hard drive] for storage.

A good quality SSD will outperform a 7200RPM hard drive.

By the way, what is your seven character configuration number for your T61p? For example 7659-12U.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 04-26-2009 12:08 PM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Serial Port
Pedrogaris

[ Edited ]

Hello, my seven character configuration number of what?

I found 256 gb solid state drives, that are quite much more expensive, and I saw there is may be difference between them, for example the Samsung seems to be the faster, and there are some brands that has a few complains with multitask working.  So the Samsung option looks quite expensive. I'm not sure if it is worth to go for it or just wait, companies are obviously selling the hdd they have left because ssd outperform in everyway the hdd.

I have the ultrabay adapter. Now I'm using 2 hdd the main Hitachi 160 gb 7200 RPM and WD 160 gb 5400 RPM.

I read in other post that some people complain that their ssd can't perform as it should because the Sata 1.5 gb... I didn't saw that ssd can run that fast, so I didn't understand it is a very long post so may I ask there anyway.

The question is where is better to place the OS with a ssd? I mean what makes the process slower, to find and read the video and move it cut it etc, at the end software works on the file, or is what the software needs to do to manage the file.

Anyway I'll think it a little bit because a 7200 RPM 320 gb is 1\10 the price of the 256 ssd that says is 10 times faster. So I get more space. And I need more space, and I'll need even more in future when the ssd comes with better price and may be more gigabytes.

But I ear suggestions, I like to have the ssd... But may is not reasonable better yet.

Cheers

T61p 6460-D8G 2.5 GHz

Message Edited by Pedrogaris on 04-26-2009 02:11 AM
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

I am referring to a seven character configuration number [in my case it's 7659-12U for a T61 laptop] which details your exact configuration [T61p model, hard drive size, operating system installed, graphics used, etc, etc]. This can be helpful to provide you with accurate assistance.

Serial Port
Pedrogaris

Hello, after watching all to try to change to an ssd, I just found the seagate 500 gb 7200.4 So just got that one.

How should I change it? Installing everything againg can take so long, there is any other way? Like system migration asistance?

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Clone your hard drive onto your new one with either Acronis True Image or Easeus Disk Copy. Then use a partition manager or Vista's Disk Manager to allocate the remaining unallocated space.

Note: You will need to have one hard drive internally, and the other in an external enclosure or USB adapter. Or you can attach both hard drives to a working desktop [with two open SATA ports of course] and clone the hard drive in this manner.

Punch Card
globalkiwi

Pedrogaris wrote:

Hello, after watching all to try to change to an ssd, I just found the seagate 500 gb 7200.4 So just got that one.

Buenas dias Pedrogaris, Could you post your initial impressions of the drive when you have it up & running?  I've been through exsactly the same decision-making trajectory.  Eventually decided that SSD's were still too expensive (in usuable sizes) so had decided to go with the Seagate 500GB 7200.4 - but a thread on this drive elsewhere made me reconsider.  But much of that discussion was based on speculation - I'd love to hear some real world impressions, especially from someone who has the same system as I.  Gracias!

Serial Port
Pedrogaris

[ Edited ]

Buenos días amigo!, I just received the hdd, so my very first impression is fear for fragmentation so I´ll make 3 partitions, 100, 100, and 300. And with that partitions I cannot clone the hdd, so I want to install everything from 0, and that make me discover that lenovo has stopped the update service, so after a nice complain for given up a service we paid for, and means that may be I´ll need to carry the laptop to a technician for changing the hdd because I don´t know about drivers and what updates should I chose and I don´t really want learn about. So this company has become untrustable for me, as they simply respond: don´t wait for the update system back without any explain. And I just thought when I buy it that thinkvantage button should keep working for the computer life, and support for warranty time, may be just like when I thought it has sata2 when I get it.

I´m surprise because after all and till now I felt the had a good service.

So I´m sorry for writing this in this post, but all this means I don´t know when I could test the drive. So I´m not sure how will I change it, and by the way I´m not precisely a technician so my impression are going to be possible that runs like the same and after a while I´ll notice about fragmentation if you more precise information tell me about some easy test to run.

Cheers

Message Edited by Pedrogaris on 05-11-2009 07:05 PM