Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
hlanier

Norton Antivirus disabling ethernet on T42

Twice I have attempted to upgrade Norton Antivirus to version 2008.  On each atttempt, during the install Norton is disabling (removing) the ethernet adapters.  (Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile).  Has anyone else experienced this?  What are the steps to prevent this from happening?

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Re: Norton Antivirus disabling ethernet on T42

Welcome to the forum!

Something similar has happened to me a couple of years ago with an earlier version of Norton. I can't walk you through resolving the problem, but my resolution was to un-install it and replace it with a different anti-virus program.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Token Ring
LukeD

Re: Norton Antivirus disabling ethernet on T42

I had experienced a similar issue when I had upgraded to Norton Antivirus 2007 on my T42. I do not have the answer for you, but I can offer you some caution.

If you call Norton for support, do not let them take remote access of your T42 to resolve the issue. For me, this had caused three weeks of nightmares.

I too had resolved the issue by having Norton removed and another antivirus program installed.

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**