Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
susanj
Accepted Solution

PC- Doctor and hard drive test results

I have a T61 that has not been logging  past the "sign-in" screen, so it's not exactly BSOD...

I ran the PC Doctor diagnostic and my laptop "failed" 3 tests...

Hard Drive: SMART extended self-test FAILED

Hard Drive: Surface scan test FAILED

also SMBIOS: SMBIOS: standards test FAILED

I went thru the whole "start BIOS setup utility" and

etc., etc, selected "hard drive" and pressed the F6 key to move to the first boot position.

etc. I even went through the ThinkVantage process to go back to "original factory settings"

but I still FAIL the 3 tests above, when I redo the testing in PC Doctor.

Is my internal hard drive "fried" ??

thanks for anyones help on this. I purchased this machine model 7658-CTO back in November 2007

and the warranty is no longer in place.

-Susan J.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,323

Re: PC- Doctor and hard drive test results

your hdd is on the verge of dying, so before it does, this is what you should do.

Burn yourself a set of recovery media, by going to start, program, thinkvantage, create recovery media. It should burn you 3 DVDs. 

Also you may need to backup any files that may need, by using the rescue and recovery feature under thinkvantage program list. Make sure you backup the hdd content to an external source, like an large usb drive, usb dvd burner or burnable dvd discs.

Now you would need to get a new hdd from somewhere (you don't need to buy it from Lenovo if you don't want), the hdd must be 2.5 inch form factor, 9.5 mm thick and have SATA connection. WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung, Fujitsu all produce these drives up to 500 gig in size.

After you bought the hdd, you would need to remove the hdd, there is a screw that you need to unscrew. Now take off the cover for the internal hdd bay. Pull on that black mylar pull tab on the hdd, to remove it from the drive bay.

Remove the two rubber railings on both side of the hdd drive (anti shock). There four screw that holds the old hdd in the makeshift anti-static caddy, you would need a phillip screwdriver, after the screw is removed, replace the old hdd with the new one you bought. 

After you have reinstalled the new hdd in the laptop, run the Recovery media discs (3 DVD) from startup discs and follow the on screen prompts. This should restore the recovery partition, and reinstall all your OS and drivers like when you first got the laptop. If you have also created a rescue and recovery backup, you can restore the laptop to the original condition, by choosing restore.

www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67980.html

if you have problem following the worded instruction on removing the hdd that i provided, you can look at the illustrated hardware manual provided in the link. 

Good luck

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
susanj

so, my fears of it dying are confirmed... I've not even had it 2 years...

This is my first laptop... I wonder if this is a typical lifespan of a hdd  (?)

I still have the original 6 Product Recovery CD's that Lenovo shipped

along with the Thinkpad T61 when I bought it. Also have the orginal

(single) Rescue and Recovery CD. and orginal (single) Supplemental Product Recovery CD. 

I'm guessing the above should be sufficient to "restore the

recovery partition" and reinstall all the OS and drivers.

Then I can reinstall MS Office '07, Kaspersky, etc. .... I also have a

CD that is my backup of files (only) and preferences.

Thanks for your guidance on how to remove the old hdd.

Shouldn't be too difficult... just takes up waaaaaayyyyy tooooooo muuuucccchhhh tiiiiimmmmme

to get this all done    :  (

best, 

Susan J.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,234
Solutions: 1,323

Those 6 product recovery cd are probably for XP, so if you are using Vista, then you would need burn another set. Other than that, i don't know what else you would need. you are pretty much good to go.

Regarding hdd quality, it just depends some fail within a couple of months, some can last 5 to 7 years. Premature hdd failure are rare. But anycase if you do get an aftermarket hdd, then you are at least protected 2 to 3 years of standard warranty.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
susanj

update on failing hard drive

I searched a few hard drive supply websites and read a lot of reviews...

Ordered new WD hard drive with the same speed 7200 rpm as old drive, but instead of 160 Gb

went with 250 Gb.

So easy to install :smileyvery-happy: but could not have done it without your instructions regarding the anti-static caddy, and the diagram manual you referenced. I really needed visual "cues" to confirm the step-by-step.

You were correct about the Recovery CD's that originally came with my T61 Vista pre-installed... the OS is Windows XP Professional. Only took 3 hours to run, followed by re-install of Office 07, Kaspersky, etc.

But, I think I can live with that.... except that I cannot load my CD backup of saved files that I created when

I had Vista... oh well.

Now my laptop seems to be responding faster... I guess what they say about Vista is true,

or maybe it was just my dying hard drive that made it run less productively....

-Susan J.

Punch Card
Tatterdemalion

I have a Windows XP T61 that froze in the night and now cannot boot to the Desktop.

I am able to use the ThinkVantage button to access "Rescue and Recovery 4" but I don't know from where within that I can create a set of recovery DVDs.

The navigation you have indicated "start, program, thinkvantage, create recovery media" suggests that you need to have been able to successfully access the Windows Desktop to create these.

Please advise...