Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
calbear2010

Re: PLEASE HELP - T61 Freezes Randomly when Docked

I opened the process monitor, and I've watched it for a while.  It doesn't really get close to 100% at all.  I can't say for sure how high it is when it freezes because at those moments it never happens to be at the front of my screen, and of course I can't navigate to it when it's frozen.

In regard to the indicator lights, the power light freezes in the on position.  The disk access light does not.

SCSI Port
Peter_C

To clarify it, is your T61 constantly running in the dock at the time of your freezes? Or do you resume from standby or docking/undocking? (If it's the first one, then I can't help, for the latter there might be something.)

ThinkPad T61 (7663-13G) T7500 2.2GHz/4GiB/120GB SSD/Sierra MC8775 HSPA/Win7 Pro x64/(3rd Fan, 3rd NVS 140M), 2x 39T4587
Blue Screen Again
calbear2010

Always when it is still running in the dock.

Paper Tape
chrisinmtown

I know this thread is old, I hope it's ok to add on anyhow.

My T61 shows the same symptoms.  The machine works flawlessly when not docked.  When docked with the lid closed it hangs about every other day.  (I never use it docked with the lid open.) I use a dock for ease of connecting to a 24" monitor via DVI, mouse, keyboard and hardwire ethernet.

The hang symptom is that the screen stays on showing what the machine was doing, but the machine is not responsive to keystrokes, the pointer does not respond to mouse movement, etc.

On occasion I've had success in un-hanging the machine by removing it from the dock, opening the lid, hitting keys, etc.  But this workaround does not always work.

I'm running Ubuntu for what that's worth. Based on the comments in this thread I no longer suspect the O/S.  I am wondering if there's some goofy failing hardware in the portion of the graphics card that drives the outboard monitor.

Paper Tape
chrisinmtown

A bit more detail.  I found another Lenovo forum thread where people complained about T61s freezing when docked *on power loss*:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-System-Freeze-when-Dock-is-Unplugged...

I confirmed I could reproduce this variant of the hang easily, just pull the plug!  After updating the BIOS to v2.30 of 2012-04-02 the hang-on-power-loss problem went away. 

Obviously I'm hoping this is related.  I don't know if power flickers were causing the hangs, the solution would be just too easy, but here's hoping.

One more reference - this thread suggests some magic keystroke combinations to try when the machine hangs:

http://linux-thinkpad.10952.n7.nabble.com/T61-locking-up-td11896.html

For example, Ctrl-Alt-Bksp, which is supposed to kill the X server.  At least this might give a cllue.

Paper Tape
chrisinmtown

After another spontaneous T61 hang I feel it's safe to say that the BIOS upgrade to 2.30 was not the solution.  I was actively scrolling and staring (glaring? :smileyhappy: at the screen at the time, so it was definitely not a screensaver kicking in that triggered issue.  The machine was not especially warm either, not many processes active.  Certainly no video games, no Netflix, just a silly PDF doc.

FWIW the only key sequence that ubuntu responds to when healthy is Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a text (tty1) login.  All my attempts at the Alt-SysRq-* sequences failed.  I tried the laptop's left alt key, right alt key, etc.  I am pushing the key labeled with "PrintSc" in white and "SysRq" in blue, holding down the Fn (lower left) key to get the blue version.  The supposed magic incantation of Alt-SysRq-R,S,E,I,U,B yielded nothing.  It's entirely possible I'm doing something quite wrong.