Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ASpen

PLEASE HELP: using the recovery CDs for IBM Product Recovery Version 5.7 on Thinkpad T30

I have Vista Ultimate on my T30 and would like to get back to XP Pro, but the 9 discs (3 sets of 3) that came with it won't  restore it to factory settings. 

After inserting and completing discs 1 & 2, disc 3 says "Remove any diskettes or CDs from the drives and press Enter to restart your computer", but it restarts with the same Vista not XP. 

I have tried F11 and Vista's error recovery screen appears.  I've tried keeping disc 3 in and pressing enter, but no success.

I've tried keeping the CD drive open and pressing enter, but no success.

I've tried using boot from "CD drive" and "hard drive" options for disc 3, but no success. 

Can anyone help me get by this disc 3 problem PLEASE?

Thank you!

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: PLEASE HELP: using the recovery CDs for IBM Product Recovery Version 5.7 on Thinkpad T30

You've got to wipe the drive clean and start fresh.

Erase the contents of the hard drive with dBan or something along those lines (PC Doctor for DOS bootable CD offers this option as well).

Choose media drive as a temporary booting device and start fresh.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Fanfold Paper
ASpen

Re: PLEASE HELP: using the recovery CDs for IBM Product Recovery Version 5.7 on Thinkpad T30

Hi George

Excellent tip!  Can I format my C drive without  using 3rd party software?  If so, could you walk me through it, please?

I thought by creating a partition, could then format the C drive.

Thx

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

I always format my drives using the third party software...free software, that is...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.