Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
paulgj

Power manager issues

Hello,

I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit on a T61 with all the latest drivers and the latest version of power manager (2.36).  I have noticed that when the system is on battery, the screen will go blank/turn off every few seconds and then come back on.  Also if I touch the touch pad sometimes that will trigger the screen to go blank/turn off.  This behavior stops once I plug the laptop into an AC power source.

I am wondering if there is any solution to this problem.  It is very annoying and forces me to uninstall the power manager if I want to use the laptop on battery power alone.

Thanks for any information.

-Paul

T400 6475-8Q5 | 8GB RAM | WXGA+ | Seagate 500GB 7200 | Win 7 Pro 64-bit............T61 7658-CTR | 8GB RAM | WD Black 320GB
Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: Power manager issues

[ Edited ]

Hello Paul,

check in Powermanager if it is allowed to run down display frequence for power saving purposes.

Also check Ati Control Center, if option is enabled over there.

This behavior is a feature, not a failure.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 23-10-2008 09:11 AM

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
paulgj

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your response.  Before you replied I tried removing the power manager and the behavior continued. It continued even with the interface & power management drivers removed.

I am trying another clean install now to try to narrow down where things start to go wrong.

Stay tuned.

-Paul

T400 6475-8Q5 | 8GB RAM | WXGA+ | Seagate 500GB 7200 | Win 7 Pro 64-bit............T61 7658-CTR | 8GB RAM | WD Black 320GB
Agotthelf

Hello Paul,

please be patient, Thinkpad´s have got well coded and more complex software.

Please ask here before uninstalling, otherwise you can easily mess up your system.

Just one hint.

Never touch a running system and do not update, if it´s not necessary.

I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
paulgj

Thanks Andreas.  Regarding a clean install, does it matter what order the drivers are installed in? for instance should I install the ACPI Power Management driver before the graphics driver? and i'm wondering if I need to install the "System Interface Driver" (whatever that is).

My system is not a production system so I don't mind re-installing the OS every now and then to learn about how things work.

-Paul

Agotthelf

Hello Paul,

simply follow this clean install guide on NBR.

Token Ring
paulgj

Hi Andreas,

I found the issue.  It was caused by the power management settings in the Intel video driver.  Once I disabled those then the laptop would behave normally under battery power.

Thanks for your help.  Yes, I was already following the great clean install guide you mentioned.

Regards,

-Paul