Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
danzee
Accepted Solution

Proper T30 Fan Operation?

The fan in my T30 suddenly started to make noise.  I removed it and found that the stator assembly, which is pressed into the aluminum case, had become loose.  I bonded it back in uisng Loctite 603 (available from McMaster Carr) and it held properly.  I applied 5VDC to the red and black wires, and the fan worked fine on the bench.  It drew about 300mA, which agrees with the label on the fan.

I reinstalled the fan with appropriate thermal grease on the CPU.  Upon startup the fan runs for a very short while and then shuts off.   I seem to remember the fan running all the time at a low level, and sometimes going into "high gear" when the computer got hot.  Is my recollection wrong ?  Does the fan only come on at elevated CPU temperatures?  I do not get any "fan error" message.  I have not run the laptop for an extended period to see if the fan come on for fear of causing damage.  Words of wisdom?

TIA,

Dan

Blue Screen Again
danzee

Re: Proper T30 Fan Operation? - It comes on when hot

I left it on for a while and the fan does cycle for a while.

I'd still like to know if that's correct.  Are there periods when the fan should be completely off?

Thanks,

Z

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: Proper T30 Fan Operation? - It comes on when hot

then fan would only operate at certain temperature envelope. To test your fan, download the TPfancontrol and test the fan with different levels in manual mode, this should verify whether your fan is in good nicks. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
danzee

Re: Proper T30 Fan Operation? - Cool program (pun intended)

Thanks,

Answered my question.  I guess my memory was faulty.

Io downloaded latest version of TP Fan Control (TPFC.62).  Nice little program.

All appears in order.

Cheers!,

Dan