Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kaz
Punch Card
Kaz

Re: T60 will not turn on with adapter

[ Edited ]

TuuS, many thanks again for your time.  In my case, spilled liquid has never occured and laptop used indoors only.  Can't think of a high humidity situation for prolonged times. 

Would you be kind enough to share your $100 source for system boards either in this forum or via PM?

Noted after installing new HD this past weekend with fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate, that I have had a few issues with Outlook 2007 (fully updated to SP3, etc.) not closing properly even after performing ScanPST and Compress on all PST files.  Today, same issue occured so I opened task manager and began ending multiple tasks running.  After ending Lenovo's Active Protection (hard drive movement), Outlook closed on its own as witnessed by the Notification icon going away.  Elected to uninstall the Active Protection program.  Since this interacts with the HD, I want to determine if this could have any impact to my issue, although it really does appear to be electrical in nature.  I also disabled Lenovo's Doze Mode Service, which I believe is part of Lenovo's power manager.  Still running with 4GB RAM (2x2 GB), Balanced Profile, and Hibernation turned off.  Will report back if I encounter any change in my issue.

It's unfortunate as my laptop is running excellent, especially after changing over to Win 7 Ultimate.  It's very responsive with programs opening much more quickly than XP Pro.  I never had this type of response even after fresh re-installs of XP and working through 2-3 HD's in the past 5 years.

--
T60, 8744-5BU: 2.0 GHz T7200, 4 GB RAM, 15.4" WSXGA+, 1680x1050 ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, Win 7 Ultimate w/SP1 - 64-bit
Bit Torrent
TuuS

It sounds like this system board served you well, it just met it's time to fail.. as all electronics do. There is no telling when a part will fail, age has little factor, some 20yo thinkpads still work like new, some brand new boards fail. I usually get boards that I can see running in their current system and avoid the "board in box" that often come from Asian part stripping factories. I've sent you the info on the boards I've found, I only wish the T61 boards were as easy to get.
ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 359
Solutions: 143

Hello,

You might want to check the voltage on the CMOS/RTC backup battery.  I have seen some desktop systems behave strangely when the charge was as little as +2.95 VDC.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Kaz
Punch Card
Kaz

TusS, thanks for PM.  Goretsky, I will attempt to measure CMOS Bat sometime today.

Work up this morning to turn on laptop after it was in sleep all night and experienced same issue with standard discharge protocol required to revive.  Note that Lenovo Active protection had been uninstalled and power manager Doze service disabled.

--
T60, 8744-5BU: 2.0 GHz T7200, 4 GB RAM, 15.4" WSXGA+, 1680x1050 ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, Win 7 Ultimate w/SP1 - 64-bit
Kaz
Punch Card
Kaz

CMOS battery measured today was 3.23 VDC so no issue here.  Removed one of my two 2GB Corsair Value memory sticks after measuring CMOS battery.  Place laptop back together, re-inserted battery, and plugged in AC and laptop showed AC and BAT lights.  Pressed power, lights went off, no beeps, and back to same issue of inability to power up.  Pulled AC and BAT, went through discharge process, plugged in AC only, AC light went on, pressed power and AC light went out and laptop would not power on.  Pullled AC, performed discharge, inserted BAT only and was able to startup laptop as typically is the case.  So, same issue whether 2GB or 4GB of RAM installed.  Shutdown, re-inserted all 4GB of memory, started up with BAT only - no issue, then inserted AC plug and now operating again.  Note, once laptop begins to power on with BAT only, I can immediately insert AC plug without issue anytime during POST, Windows Start, or after desktop appears.

Besides the system board being the likley candidate, I wanted to add that I am not aware of having this issue without first closing the lid, as at the end of my day I typically close the lid, and allow the T60 to go into sleep (standby when on XP).  Is anyone aware of an issue with the mechanism used in the lid to trigger the sleep.standby mode when it is closed that could contribute to my issue?  Will leave the lid open for a few days and manually place T60 in Sleep for testing.  Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate still turned off.

Last, is anyone aware of an issue with the Corsair Value RAM 2GB sticks, whether 2GB or 4GB, installed that could contribute to this issue and where extensive memtest86 testing shows the RAM to be good?

--
Kaz
Punch Card
Kaz

Update.  With regards to:

Is anyone aware of an issue with the mechanism used in the lid to trigger the sleep.standby mode when it is closed that could contribute to my issue?  Will leave the lid open for a few days and manually place T60 in Sleep for testing.  Hybrid Sleep and Hibernate still turned off.

Left the lid open and manually placed the laptop in Sleep mode.  After a few hours in Sleep, i hit the power button, lights went off, and was not able to power back on without going through normal discharge process and starting up on battery only.  Second test was to leave laptop in Sleep mode again, wait a few hours, click on mouse to revive system - lights went out and not able to power back on.  Used same recovery process.  Therefore, there is no difference whether closing lid or leaving it open.  Issue existing whether laptop running Windows XP Standby/Hibernate or Windows 7 Sleep/Hibernate modes.

Disabled Sleep mode (hibernate already was disabled), left laptop on all night with AC and BAT.  Only black screen was set to occur after 15 min.  No issue moving mouse this morning and recovering.  Issue ONLY occurs in either Sleep/Standby or Hibernate modes and when leaving laptop in these modes for long periods of time.  Appears that some type of residual charge is building up over time that freaks the system out after pressing power button or clicking on mouse to bring it out of Standby/Sleep.

--
goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 359
Solutions: 143

Hello,

I am not aware of any specific issues with Corsair ValueRAM and the ThinkPad T60 series (which does not mean that there is not one, just that I am unaware of it). 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Bit Torrent
TuuS

Kaz wrote:
  Is anyone aware of an issue with the mechanism used in the lid to trigger the sleep.standby mode when it is closed that could contribute to my issue?  

Last, is anyone aware of an issue with the Corsair Value RAM 2GB sticks, whether 2GB or 4GB, installed that could contribute to this issue and where extensive memtest86 testing shows the RAM to be good?

#1 Yes, this is why I suggested you disable this as well as all power saving options. If I'm not mistaken there is a magnetic sensor that determines if the lid is open or closed, if this sensor is defective it could cause havac. I disable all "close lid" fuctions on all my thinkpads. I think it's very annoying if I can't close the lid without the unit going into sleep mode, after all, how hard is it to press two keys to trigger sleep if that's what you want. I believe the sensor is in the Inverter on this model, but I'm not a T60 expert so I can't say for sure.

#2 No, I have used this ram since 2008, and it has been used in several different T61 models as well as a T60p, never had any problem.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
vonflow

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to say that I've had the same exact issue on a ThinkPad T60p (2007-8JU), and have wondered if it's a bug in the bios or something. It runs beautifully in virtually every other aspect.  I bought the laptop used, but it seemed to come from a very reliable source in southern California, so I don't suspect humidity or water damage.

Also, the seller had replaced both the battery and charger just before selling the laptop, so they are still fairly new. 

Fanfold Paper
rim1112

Going thru the exact same issues with a T60P.  Exactly.   Same trials:  new battery, healthy original, two different AC adapters, etc.  Only starts after battery is pulled and reinserted, unless the shutdown is only for a short time, like 10-15 mins.  Overnight, with AC plugged in (T60P shutdown, only Power Plug and Batt LED's on), won't start in AM unless AC and batt pulled out, and just batt reinserted.  The AC put in, runs fine, charges, etc.  Only other thing I am noticing is that when I click on Shutdown, it closes, I get the Logging Off screen, but it then after a more or less normal time, goes right to the block power-off screen, that is, no Shutting Down screen. WHY????  Related ?  All software updates are done, both Thinkvantage and Windows.  2x1gb RAM, normally run in dock, rarely leaves house, never damaged, spilled, etc.  MB was replaced under warranty a couple years back by Lenovo.  I see this thread is a year old.  Was this issue ever resolved?