Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Blze001

Recurring problem

Hey guys, I'm having a recurring problem with my Thinkpad T61p.

About the middle of May, my Thinkpad threw up a BSOD while in class. I restarted, it worked fine, I put it to sleep and it never woke up. So I sent it in for a warranty repair, where they determined the motherboard was fried. I got it back, it worked great for about a week, bluescreen went up, then it proceeded to start just fine boot to windows and then the system would lock up. Sometimes it would last for 10 minutes, sometimes it would lock the instant I pressed the button. Sent it back, replaced the motherboard again, got it back. Worked great for over a week, got two nearly back-to-back "nvdklm.sys" blue screens, a system lock, a generic bluescreen, another system lock and another bluescreen. It seems to syslock or BSOD faster if I'm using a web browser, but it'll still bugger if I switch the wireless off. I tested it with a Linux partition and a Linux live-CD, both of those syslocked too.

Obviously, whatever is busted isn't being fixed. But it's passing all of their tests and a week of use before dying. The last time, they said my HDD was bad but, since it's not supported, they couldn't replace it. My questions are twofold:

1. Could the HDD be what is constantly breaking and when it dies, it take the MoBo with it?

2. If not, what could be broken that would cause the week of working fine before death? Bad power supply maybe?

They tested my non-Lenovo memory and battery in their systems, both of those worked perfectly.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: Recurring problem

sounds like your motherboard's nvidia GPU, you need to send it in for a new motherboard.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
O8h7w

I have to doubt two replacement motherboards in a row would have the same fault that occurred on the original one after years of use... but it may very well be three different problems.

Anyway, due to the randomness of the problem I'm guessing there's a bad or loose connection somewhere. I had similar problems on a desktop computer, the problem turned out to be the molex connector delivering power to the HDD.

Or maybe the discrete GPU somehow ruins the onboard GPU? I have no idea how that could happen. A bad PSU, on the other hand, should be able to damage almost anything in the system. As far as I know, which is not very far.

Wish you luck in hunting down the problem, O8h7w

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A few thoughts that fled from the head of O8h7w
lead_org

because the replacement motherboard is a refurbished unit, so it is not a new one. I have seen a person sending in the laptop for three times to get a replacement motherboard that did not have this problem.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
Blze001

So it's just bad luck and I keep getting bad motherboards?

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

T61/p was probably the most problematic line of ThinkPads in recent history. Thank you, nVidia.

Given the subdued prices of T400/500/W500 generation which suffers from none of these issues, you may want to just put that T61p to rest and get one of these...

My $0.02 only...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
lead_org

not sure if it is bad luck, or whether the QC on these refurb motherboard is nowhere that it should be.

If i am you i would call back and ask for a new motherboard, and specifically request that these machines are extensively tested to ensure the GPU won't prematurely fail again.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=93357&start=150 have a read of this thread.
Regards,

Jin Li

Paper Tape
Blze001

I would get a new computer, but I'm in college and I can't afford $500 for a new box.

Are they re-using motherboards with the bad nVidia chip in warranty repairs?

lead_org

they are refurbishing motherboards, theoretically they should be using motherboard with non-problematic GPU.

If i am you i would call up again, and ask them to do the repair again. Then sell the machine, and use the money for the new laptop or something.
Regards,

Jin Li

goretsky
Topics: 18
Kudos: 326
Solutions: 119

Hello,

Although I think the GPU is the culprit, have you tried using the system with a different HDD and power supply just to rule out those parts being the issue?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español