Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
carolinc

Reformatting Harddrive with thinkvantage

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I want to completely start new w/ my OS. I did the whole thinkvantage thing (Rescue and restore), and when it shut down and started the process of Rescuing and Restoring, I was left with a black screen and a mouse. I was able to move the mouse, but nothing was showing. So i let it run overnight to see if it was gonna shut down and start back up automatically with a new slate, but it didn't and the same screen was there.

Does anyone know how to reformat my h/d and not have that "error"pop up? was I using the wrong option in ThinkVantage to reformat?

thanks!

I have Windows Vista Home premium T61 laptop, if that matters..

Message Edited by carolinc on 11-10-2008 07:50 AM
Paper Tape
Knovats

Re: Reformatting Harddrive with thinkvantage

I recently brought a ThinkPad with ThinkVantage and ciscovered I need to dual-boot the Win7 Pro installation with a Win XP install to run some legacy software. I prefer not to use Virtual PC. I was able to make a separate drive by shrinking the original c: drive. The problem is getting into the boot sector of the system so that I can erase Win7 (reformat), install Win XP (older system first), and reinstall Win7.

How can I get in under ThinkVantage without breaking my machine?

Paper Tape
Knovats

Re: Reformatting Harddrive with thinkvantage

Carolinc

If you go into the Command Prompt you can format the drive if you enter the correct volume label. Syntax is very important here. I'm playing with this and I'll let you know if I get it right. I don't know what access I will have once I erase to OS, but hopefully I can boot with my install disc.

I don't have this problem with my custom built desktop, but the ThinkVantage tools seem to be blocking access to the boot sector of the machine. I've tried to load my Win XP disc but it crashes the moment it actually tries to start after loading files.