Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
srini28
Accepted Solution

Replace hard disk in T61

I want to replace the OEM 80 GB hard disk in my T61 with a 250 GB SATA hard disk and install Vista Ultimate on it.

I am pretty IT savvy but I've never opened the back of a laptop. Is this a straightforward thing or am I getting myself into trouble?

Thanks for your insight!

Srini

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: Replace hard disk in T61

You don't need to open the back of the laptop, just a small unobtrusive cover on the side.

Instructions can be found here

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
srini28

Awesome!!!Thanks for pointing me to that guide. It sounds really simple. The only thing then is to find the right screw-driver for this task. I have an entire toolkit for the car, but I don't think that would have anything that small. Any recommendation on where to buy such a screw driver?

Srini

andyP

Sorry to say it; I know my way around ThinkPads pretty good, not screw drivers. If there is a name for a particular size ?????

A small "Phillips" + screw driver should be enough, the one I have in my notebook bag has "261/PH 0x50" written on it. No idea what it means, but it does the job :smileytongue:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
srini28

[ Edited ]

I am getting a good deal here - 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3201416&CatId=1277

and

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4178475&CatId=2682

Will this hard drive work with my T61? Your help is GREATLY appreciated. It would be a nighmare to order and then realize that it was the wrong one.

Srini

Message Edited by srini28 on 10-03-2008 08:45 PM
andyP

No probs with either

Andy  

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
srini28

Thank you very much! I ordered it. I will post about how it goes...
Ctrl-Alt-Del
srini28

Looks like I am in a little bit of trouble now...

I have the awesome 7200.3 250 GB hard disk now and I managed to replace the hard disk also, thanks to your help.

However, I made the mistake of buying the Windows Vista Ultimate w/SP1 Anytime Upgrade DVD (not clean install). So now I need a Vista version on the new Hard Drive before I can use the upgrade that I bought.

Is there a way I can get a DVD to install the Vista version that came with the laptop when I bought it? I don't think lenovo shipped me a recovery disk..

Thanks!

Srini

Punch Card
Mo-T

[ Edited ]

My T61 also need a hard disk upgrade. I've been googling aroud on HD upgrade and IMO you're on the right track.

Since I see that you have a new Seagate HD; get  the free software (DiscWizard) form Seagate website and you can image/transfer your system to your new HD on the fly.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

You may want to download the software manual published there in for reference.

Nevertheless, I think I read somewhere you can make recovery CDs (7CD's or 1CD and 1DVD) thru Thinkvantage Blue button and some other steps.

Only one think that puzzle me, I called Lenovo in my country and said that my T61 (7663) mobo/bios cannot support more than 160GB HD. Hope someone could shed me some second opinion on this

Message Edited by Mo-T on 10-30-2008 01:00 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
srini28

I actually ended up painfully creating a set of 10 CD's as the recovery media. It took an entire day!! I'd totally recommend calling lenovo and asking them to ship it to you. After I went through the whole ordeal, they were in fact willing to ship it to me for free! But by then, I worked it out.

Another thing, once you have the CD's and you are trying to restore to the new HD, it first prompts you for OS recovery disks. You must say NO to that and that's when it asks for product recovery discs, which is what you created. This got me confused as I kept saying Yes to OS recovery disk and it kept saying "recovery media is not the right one" or something like that.

I did manage to recover to the new HD and upgrade to Vista Ultimate using the Anytime upgrade. So, I am all set now!!!

My HD is 250 GB and I had no problem.

Thanks to all for your help.