Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
niken

Re: Replace motherboard for T61 (6459-CTO)

We have not get response from TuuS.
Bit Torrent
TuuS

[ Edited ]

niken wrote:
We have not get response from TuuS.

Hi niken,

I thought I had replied to everyone here, but please understand that I'm only one person and I don't do this as a business, I'm just trying to help members since I have access to these (often extremely rare) boards.

If you want to send me a private message with your machine type (example: 1234-a12) Serial: (l2-a1234) Date: (08/04) and CPU type (example T7500), I'll figure out what you need and let you know what is available.

***do NOT post your serial numbers in the public forum***

Please be patient and I'll reply to everyone.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Paper Tape
TheJohnny1

Replacing the motherboard of a T61p (6459-CTO)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as the NVIDIA bug is here to stay...

My laptop started the day with the now famous one long and two short beeps and a blank screen. It is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p, model 6459-CTO, with NVIDIA Quadro FX570M 256 MB, 15,4" WUXGA.

As most laptops with the NVIDIA GPU have this bug and models manufactured after 08/08 are hard to get, I figured it may be the best way to solve the problem by replacing the faulty systemboard with a systemboard with the Intel GPU X3100.

My laptop has a 2.2 GHz processor, the T7500. As I have read here my faulty systemboard has the FRU 42W7653 (Merom, 15,4").

To be sure: Is a systemboard with the FRU 42W7651 the right choice if I want to replace my faulty systemboard with the one with Intel graphics?

Will there be any issues with my WUXGA display?

Thank you for your help!

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: Replacing the motherboard of a T61p (6459-CTO)

TheJohnny1 wrote:

Hello,

yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as the NVIDIA bug is here to stay...

My laptop started the day with the now famous one long and two short beeps and a blank screen. It is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p, model 6459-CTO, with NVIDIA Quadro FX570M 256 MB, 15,4" WUXGA.

As most laptops with the NVIDIA GPU have this bug and models manufactured after 08/08 are hard to get, I figured it may be the best way to solve the problem by replacing the faulty systemboard with a systemboard with the Intel GPU X3100.

My laptop has a 2.2 GHz processor, the T7500. As I have read here my faulty systemboard has the FRU 42W7653 (Merom, 15,4").

To be sure: Is a systemboard with the FRU 42W7651 the right choice if I want to replace my faulty systemboard with the one with Intel graphics?

Will there be any issues with my WUXGA display?

Thank you for your help!

Yes Johnny, your on the right track. If you can find a proper board locally from a reliable source, that might be your best option, if not feel free to send me a PM and I'll see about getting one for you.

There are no problems using the WUXGA screen with the Intel graphics.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Punch Card
majorcynic

I have the exact same machine and may be in the market for a replacement motherboard as well.

However, I'm having difficulty ascertaining if the problem the NVDIA bug (not that it wouldn't crop up sooner or later).

My symptoms are this: For (apparently) no reason and at no predictable time my laptop beeps once and powers down. No lights will be lit even if plugged in to a power source. Then, after some time (could be one hour - could be 5 hours) the power light appears and I can boot up the computer.

This happens every other day. I thought perhaps it was overheating. I installed tpfancontrol and overheating doesn't seem to be the problem.

Are these the same symptoms as the NVIDIA problem? If it is, then I would definitely want to replace the motherboard with Intel graphics rather than NVIDIA.

Any insights appreciated!! THANK YOU!!

Cyndi

Bit Torrent
TuuS

majorcynic wrote:

I have the exact same machine and may be in the market for a replacement motherboard as well.

However, I'm having difficulty ascertaining if the problem the NVDIA bug (not that it wouldn't crop up sooner or later).

My symptoms are this: For (apparently) no reason and at no predictable time my laptop beeps once and powers down. No lights will be lit even if plugged in to a power source. Then, after some time (could be one hour - could be 5 hours) the power light appears and I can boot up the computer.

This happens every other day. I thought perhaps it was overheating. I installed tpfancontrol and overheating doesn't seem to be the problem.

Are these the same symptoms as the NVIDIA problem? If it is, then I would definitely want to replace the motherboard with Intel graphics rather than NVIDIA.

Any insights appreciated!! THANK YOU!!

Cyndi

Cyndi,

Get and install "thinkpad fan control"  (tpfancontrol.com). Watch the temperatures, specifically your CPU and GPU. When idle you should see CPU reaching mid 60degrees C before the fan comes on and the GPU should be several degrees cooler unless stressed. If your GPU regularly gets hotter then the CPU and if it ever approaches anything near 90c, then you have a thermal problem that needs to be fixed urgently or you definitely WILL need a new board.

If you have a thermal problem it may just be a new fan and some thermal paste you need, or perhaps only the thermal paste, in either case I'd be glad to help you as these parts are readily available and inexpensive compared to a replacement board. If you do want an Intel board, I can tell you that the rather large and rare cache that was located is almost gone. Hopefully more will surface, but I can tell you that I gave up looking for the Intel boards for 15.4" models months ago after despiration took me to ebay where I got one bad board after another, then finally a rather large quantity of them surfaced just when the flow of the rare 08/08 nVidia boards completely stopped...   almost like an answer to a prayer making me wonder if the mythological "thinkpad gods" really do exist  lol

*a little humor to lighten things up a bit*

Back on topic...    Get some temp readings asap, as you could be experiencing thermal shutdown which could kill even a healthy nVidia chip. Even if the temps are good, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean out your cooling system and apply some arctic silver thermal paste and perhaps replace the fan too.

Fanfold Paper
niken

Ok ,I will send you my machine type and Serial Date CPU type by private message , Thank you.
Punch Card
majorcynic

TuuS

Thank you SO much for replying.

I've only had this computer for a couple of weeks - it was a hand-me-down from someone who was using it primarily for gaming (it was missing a couple of keys so they must have been really been doing some very frenzied typing!) This individual got a new computer and so they just gave me their T61. 

I actually did download tpfancontrol about a week ago - as soon as it powered down a couple of times. I had read about it in your forum. I have been checking the temperatures and they seemed to stay below 60 - but I don't know for sure because I would check it intermittently.

But now that I think about it, I have actually NEVER heard the fan go on since I've had the machine. 

Could it be simply a matter of replacing the fan and the heatsink? It powers down sporadically without warning, preceded by one short "beep."

Should I do this as a first attempt at resolving my problem? Or should I start with the Artic Silver application. I actually have some Arctic Silver 5 as well as Artic cleaner and surface preparation solvent that I bought a few months ago to use on a friend's T61, so I know how to apply it.

When the machine is up and running, it has no other issues - i.e.: no skewed graphics, weird colours, dark grey screen - everything works great.

Thank you thank you thank you for your advice. You have such a great reputation here!

Cyndi

Bit Torrent
TuuS

niken wrote:
Ok ,I will send you my machine type and Serial Date CPU type by private message , Thank you.

I have not received any such message from you. If you attempted to send one, please try again.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

majorcynic wrote:

TuuS

Thank you SO much for replying.

I've only had this computer for a couple of weeks - it was a hand-me-down from someone who was using it primarily for gaming (it was missing a couple of keys so they must have been really been doing some very frenzied typing!) This individual got a new computer and so they just gave me their T61. 

I actually did download tpfancontrol about a week ago - as soon as it powered down a couple of times. I had read about it in your forum. I have been checking the temperatures and they seemed to stay below 60 - but I don't know for sure because I would check it intermittently.

But now that I think about it, I have actually NEVER heard the fan go on since I've had the machine. 

Could it be simply a matter of replacing the fan and the heatsink? It powers down sporadically without warning, preceded by one short "beep."

Should I do this as a first attempt at resolving my problem? Or should I start with the Artic Silver application. I actually have some Arctic Silver 5 as well as Artic cleaner and surface preparation solvent that I bought a few months ago to use on a friend's T61, so I know how to apply it.

When the machine is up and running, it has no other issues - i.e.: no skewed graphics, weird colours, dark grey screen - everything works great.

Thank you thank you thank you for your advice. You have such a great reputation here!

Cyndi

Cyndi,

I can send you a heatsink/fan assembly if you like, it would be a good idea to replace it while you're in there. I can also send you a keyboard, might as well replace that too while your at it. It really sounds like thermal shutdown to me, and the best way to diagnose it is to reseat or replace the assembly. These types of shutdowns will eventually kill your GPU in which case you'd end up needing a new board.

Send me a PM if you'd like my help and we'll work out the details.