Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Tatterdemalion

Replacing the Hard Drive on a T61

The original hard drive on my T61 having died, I have created a set of Recovery CDs from ANOTHER T61 and ordered a replacement hard drive that will arrive soon.

In order to mend my machine, do I just have to switch it off, physically swap the new drive for the old one and then turn the computer back on ?

Will it AUTOMATICALLY see the brand new, empty drive ?

Will it ask me for the Recovery CDs ?

Is there anything else I need to do before I start ?

Guru
hausman

Re: Replacing the Hard Drive on a T61

Tatterdemalion wrote:

Will it AUTOMATICALLY see the brand new, empty drive ?

Yes.

Will it ask me for the Recovery CDs ?

You may have to go into BIOS and include your DVD drive in the boot sequence. Then yes, the system will boot from the Recovery CD and prompt you to insert the other CDs in order to complete the restore.

Is there anything else I need to do before I start ?

I like to format new drives and run diagnostics on another system before I install them into the intended system. This ensures that the drive is functional. (It's possible for drives to get damaged in transit.) After doing the system restore and reboot, be prepared to do lengthy updates to bring Windows and Lenovo-supplied software up to date. Note also that the Recovery CDs will only restore the HD to the state it was in when the T61 was brand new. You'll have lost of of your user data, applications, configuration/customisation, etc. Hopefully you have backups for this stuff.

Tatterdemalion

Is the BIOS something that is stored on the motherboard so that I'll be presented with options and menu screens even though I have an empty drive ?

Will some text just appear will I need to press something to trigger it ?

Bit Torrent
TuuS

BIOS (basic input output system) is an extremely simple operating system that your computer uses to be able to find the proper hardware devices and boot. Most likely you won't have to touch it, but if you cannot get the cdrom drive to boot, press "F1" when the screen first posts and it will enter bios setup, then look for boot options and make sure booting from cdrom (usually atapi device 0) is enabled, then press F10 key to save and exit.

However, if you don't know what a bios is, don't mess with it unless you have to.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Guru
hausman

TuuS wrote: 

However, if you don't know what a bios is, don't mess with it unless you have to.

Agreed.

To the OP, IIRC the default BIOS setting is to try to boot from either the HD or DVD drive so if the HD is new and therefore unbootable the T61 will automatically try to read the DVD drive. 

Tatterdemalion

Hi

My replacement hard drive arrived and I was able to fit it and run the T61 recovery CDs.

By following the Windows XP prompts, I seem to have created TWO accounts - one called "Administrator" and one with a more personal name.

I have never used Multiple Accounts.

The computer is showing a "Found New Hardware" wizard window. It tried to find a VGA driver and couldn't - although I am not sure it had REALLY connected to the internet. The time has stopped being correct.

After a re-boot it IS connecting to the web (the time is still wrong) but I don't know if I should be trying to download Windows Updates with the second account and not the "Administrator" one.

I also don't know if I should avoid using the on-board Internet Explorer 7 and install something more modern - from a USB stick - if that is even possible at this stage.

Should I go back to Factory Settings and start again ?

I don't know why I have two accounts. I don't know why it wouldn't let me give the same name to the computer AND my account.

Guru
hausman

Tatterdemalion wrote:

My replacement hard drive arrived and I was able to fit it and run the T61 recovery CDs.

By following the Windows XP prompts, I seem to have created TWO accounts - one called "Administrator" and one with a more personal name.

I have never used Multiple Accounts.

When the system was new it had two at least IDs, Administrator plus at least one personal account that was created during the XP install process. It's possible you didn't realize Administrator was there or maybe it got deleted at some point.

In any case, you need at least one account with administrative privileges in order to install software and update the system. IIRC the personal account you created was given administrative privileges by the Win XP install process. That's potentially dangerous because you could inadvertently modify a system setting or allow malware to do it. Some people downgrade the personal account to have limited privileges for routine work and temporarily switch to Administrator only when they need to update the system. But I digress...

After you complete the install using recovery CDs be sure to run Windows Update. This could take a long time and require several reboots depending on how old the recovery CDs are. I'd expect Windows will want to update Internet Explorer in this process.

When that's done, run ThinkVantage System Update to install and update the ThinkVantage suite of applications. Again be prepared to spend some time on this and do several reboots.

Once both WU and SU report nothing new to install, or only optional stuff you don't want to install, you can proceed to installing other applications, restoring backed up data, etc.
TuuS

This is just a matter of opinion, but I'd prefer to use lenovo system update before windows update, sometimes windows update will install drivers that are  newer then lenovo's, but may not be stable on thinkpads. Also when using windows update, I look at each one to determine if it's really something I want. Some updates could be undesireablel, however you might want to download and install windows XP service pack 3 first, this could save you a lot of time, but be prepared to spend hours at this, which is why I prefer to use an upto date windows setup disc followed by running system update instead of the recovery discs. Those discs were desinged when the T61 was designed, about six years ago so they are quite outdated.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
Guru
hausman

TuuS wrote:

This is just a matter of opinion, but I'd prefer to use lenovo system update before windows update, sometimes windows update will install drivers that are  newer then lenovo's, but may not be stable on thinkpads.

Agreed. But that requires the good judgment to know what's important, what's newer, what conflicts with what, etc. The only way I know to learn that is the "hard way" :smileywink:

It's been a while since I did an XP restore using recovery CDs but IIRC WU will download SP3 instead of the individual patches that comprise it.

Tatterdemalion

I have two ThinkPads. Neither of them have ever SHOWN me an "Administrator" account in the Log On list at start up. I've only ever been able to SEE one ID at that point.

My Toshiba doesn't do it AT ALL. It just STARTS.

Should I go back and ask the ThinkPad to start the Factory Restore process again ?

Maybe I should ignore some of the prompts.

It's confusing knowing which requests you SHOULD respond to and even that it's an OPTION to ignore some. I thought

I had to respond to prompts and that nothing else was going on - but then DOS (?) Windows would open and lots of white text file names would flood through and I wondered if I should NOT have been interacting.

First time around - I made the Administrator Account which I think I was FORCED to call "Administrator" - I would not pick such a long name because of Windows file name and navigation length limits.

I chose a password and registered a fingerprint - but don't know if that was something I should have delayed.

I don't know if I should begin again or log on as Administrator and then ONLY USE that account.

I don't know why the personal-name account started off by displaying the correct time but then lost that.