Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ASpen

Restoring to XP via Product Recovery Program Version 5.7

Hi friends

I 'm trying to do a clean Install of XP over Vista.  Is there a way to format my hard drive in Vista (disc mgmt) and then boot using the CD drive via the Product Recovery Program CDs to restore to XP?

Thanks for your help!

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Restoring to XP via Product Recovery Program Version 5.7

Hi ASpen,

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.  If you have XP recovery CDs, just boot them and install.  That will format your drive and install XP.

Maybe a little more detail on what media you have and what you want to do?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Fanfold Paper
ASpen

Hi Z

I am trying to return my computer to XP from Vista Ultimate, but my Product Recovery discs will not allow me to restore, install, or reformat over Vista Ultimate (stops at disc 3), therefore I want to wipe it clean to start afresh and return it to XP using my Product Recovery CDs. 

I am in need of directions on how to format my hard drive (wipe clean), and then I can return it to XP using my Product Recovery CDs.  Hope this helps!

Thanx Kindly

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

So you are booting your XP recovery media, but the process hangs at disk 3?  I'd expect that to work.

Is there an error message of some kind, or just a hang? Any chance there's a pop-up window _behind_ the main window that's asking for user input?

If you think a disk wipe will help. maybe boot a Linux live CD (or from flash drive) and use gParted to erase the existing partitions.  Or pull the drive, connect to a desktop machine directly, or to any machine via USB adapter, and just format using Windows drive management.

I'm not sure I quite get the whole picture yet.  Sorry about that...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Fanfold Paper
ASpen

The 3rd disc says "remove any CDs or diskettes from the drives and press enter to restart your computer"  After  I remove disc and press enter, it restarts, but no change to computer (still running Vista).  No hidden window asking for input.

Disc 1 &2 operate fine: inflating, copying, and formatting.  disc 3 does similar functions, but computer restarts with same Ultimate Vista.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Sorry, but I've got to ask:  do the disks actually say "XP" on them?

And after going through the process, is it a fresh Vista install, or is all your user stuff still there?

Z.

Fanfold Paper
ASpen

Yes these say "XP - P EN" on them (originals).  The same old Vista reappears with my same old stuff.  It does not hang at disc 3, it goes through its functions, but the same old Vista with my same old stuff reappears.

I've tried this restore another 3 times; same results.

Thanks