Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
notnaff

SATA Hard Drive Adapter

Hello,

I have the SATA HDD Bay Adapter (40Y8725).  Should I buy a caddy of some sort to protect the disk before inserting it into the bay.

Thanks

802.11n
icantux

Re: SATA Hard Drive Adapter

[ Edited ]

Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

No there's no need for additional hardware or equipment. Just insert the drive (SATA or SATA2) into the ultrabay (drive label side up), slide it in snuggly, close the black clasp and then you're all set. The tight connection plus the black clasp hold the drive in the ultrabay caddy very tightly, so no need for additional brackets. You'll also note that the ultrabay adapter is made of heat dissipating metal on the underside. 

Here's the User Guide (pdf) for the ultrabay adapter. It shows pretty pictures depicting the drive installation procedures.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Message Edited by icantux on 06-27-2008 04:50 PM
Paper Tape
Darren-T61

Hi,

I was wondering how fast the HD ultrabay adapter is (I'm assuming it's faster) compared to a USB or IEEE 400 external drive. Would the HD in the ultrabay be as fast as the SATA system drive? (with same model HD).

Any info appreciated

Darren

802.11n
icantux

[ Edited ]

Hmm..

Awfully good questions. I couldn't tell you the specs on transfer speeds or bus speeds involved ...  Keep in mind that the X6x and the T6x accept both ultrabay adapter types - the IDE and the SATA drive versions (two different ultrabay devices). The mainboard/ultrabay connector on both ultrabay version caddies are the same and I remember reading in some tech papers that the mainboard/ultrabay connection is made by some derivative of USB... 

I'll have to test the speeds and post more with results later.

Steve

**EDIT**

Right well, first off, I can't pretend I'm any kind of expert on this question but doing more research it turns out the ultrabay adapter hooks up as an "ATA/ATAPI" drive - can't say what the rated transfer rate is on such a connection.

Performed a quick test using a Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 (60GB 7200rpm) ATA-100 (100MB/s buffer-to-host transfer rate) stuffed in an ultrabay IDE device hooked up to my X61 in the X6 ultrabase (lots of room for transfer rate loss).

Resulting transfer speed ratings of 88.6MB/s (using HDTach) so there's some loss, but it's not bad! Tried the same drive via external USB enclosure (Ultra brand) and I get 77.8MB/s transfer rate, using same program, so... more of a bottleneck there.

Can't give you any test results of the drive as a primary device because it's not SATA (X61 only takes SATA/2 drives) and I don't have the SATA ultrabay adaptor to test a SATA drive.

Message Edited by icantux on 06-27-2008 08:30 PM
Message Edited by icantux on 06-27-2008 08:36 PM
What's DOS?
rbogie

i use a T23 (2647-4MU) and want to add an SATA HDD adapter.  the info re 40Y8725 seems to say that T23 does not support SATA.  There's an item on eBay that's described as follows: "IBM Thinkpad 2nd Hard Drive HDD SATA T23 Ultrabay 2000" (Item: 360100298649).  Can anyone please guide me as to what's accurate here?