Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
bo1953

SSD's Question

Hello all - I Am considering a SSD upgrade to my  6465-63U machine and wanted some input as to a 256g+ drive. I did not find anything that size at the Lenovo store which I thought would work, so I come here to ask from the experienced ones!

What do you think and what are the recommendations?

TIA - Bo1953

T61, 6465, Vista
Greps Everything
PoPSiCLe

Re: SSD's Question

The only thing limiting which drive you can use, that be a normal HD or an SSD, is the physical size of the drive itself - it cannot be thicker than 9.5mm. That's the only limit, regardless of which drives are available or recommended by Lenovo.

As for which SSD you'd want, I'd personally recommend a max size of 128GB, since anything more than that is gonna be ridiculously expensive, but feel free. As for which brand or type, I'd recommend reading up on tests - Corsair and Intel are usually good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
Serial Port
bo1953

PoPSiCle - Thank you for the reply. Currently, I have a 160g HD which is almost full and as such need to move up, if I Am going to do this. Do I need to worry about which type of SATA it is? Thanks...
T61, 6465, Vista
Token Ring
Q-Ball

No- SATA III drives automatically downshift to work within the bounds of SATA II drives.

The one thing you need to know is that the T61 has a certain limitation in that it only actually performs at an SATA I level (that's 150 MB/s.) 

There exists a workaround BIOS  that will enable the full 300 MB/s (it also does other stuff)- just search for 'T61 SATA 2' on Google and you should find it no problem, though beware that it will void any remaining warranties on your machine, and is risky to install (just like any other BIOS upgrade).

So if you use this mod, you'll want something with a Sandforce controller for maximum all-around performance. 

Crucial and Intel drives are good too, though the RealSSD C300 is limited somewhat by the fact that you are hooking it to an SATA II interface, and the Intel drive has better boot performance than SandForce drives but lags in pretty much everything else.

Even if you don't perform the mod, the above still holds true.

Be aware that an SSD that's over 160 GB will consume over 350 dollars of your cash.

Also, beware of OCZ.  They have an 'issue' with a certain kind of flash (their new drives, the ones whose part number ends in E, are slower and smaller than ones that don't end in E: and even if you buy a "non E model" there are no guarantees that you'll not recieve a handicapped one). 

They are a good bit cheaper when it comes to large capacities, though- so you need to decide: cheap or fast.

Also, you should still take a look at the dimensions when you've found a drive you want, though I believe they all come in 9.5 mm sizes.  Just don't pick a 3.5" drive.

Serial Port
bo1953

Q-Ball - Thank you for the insight. Incredibly helpful... Additional questions:
1) 34 or 44 pin?
2) OCZ is a drive you would not recommend I consider at this time..

TIA...
T61, 6465, Vista
Token Ring
Q-Ball

1.) None of the above (34 pins is ExpressCard, 44 pins is PATA- for reference, an SATA data cable has 7 conductors)

2.) It's alright to consider it, just be mindful of the risks. (And keep a full backup of data just in case- that applies to any SSD you buy.)
Serial Port
bo1953

Q-Ball and anyone else...

What, if anything, can I do to upgrade to SATA II or SATA III, does that mean Mobo? If so, which one will work in my system?

As far as SSD sizes go, they are 1.8" and 2.5" too. Per Lenovo's store they show a 1.8" SSD. Does physical size matter vs data capacity?

Thank you again all...
T61, 6465, Vista
ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 801

You can't upgrade to SATA III.

You need a modded BIOS on that T61 to run at SATA 3.0 (aka SATA II) speeds.

You can use a 1.8" SSD with a proper adapter. No need to buy a SSD direct from Lenovo, BTW...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Token Ring
Q-Ball

The fastest transfer rate you can get is SATA II @ 300 MB/s, and that's with the modded BIOS.

Unmodded, the fastest rate you get is 150 MB/s (though it's still an SATA II controller).

SATA II to SATA III -> Physically impossible (not even the T410 has this yet).

No, it doesn't matter what physical size. Just how many Gigabytes.

Also, 2.5" drives are usually cheaper than 1.8" drives of the same capacity. And both *should* fit into the bay, but the 2.5" one will fit better.
What's DOS?
midnight521

i have a thinkpad T61 and running win 7 home premium dual boot with ubuntu.. would adding the SSD sata II work with my ubuntu since that is what i use most of the time??

really wanting to speed up my computer since a already maxed out my ram and it still crashes when i try playing minecraft (FTB) or starcraft II