Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
fschade

Screen Rotation from Catalyst Control Center won't stick

Greetings,

I recently upgrade all my software on my laptop (T23, model 2668-J3U, docked in a docking station), both installing XP SP3, and installing all the upgrades through the Thinkpad System Update tool.  I have 2 external flat screen displays connected (one on digital one analog) and I use the rotation feature.  However, since upgrading, I've tried using the Catalyst Control Center to rotate my screens but cannot get it to "stick".  The option is there to rotate and i've tried mutliple combinations, but no matter what I do the screen flickers (like it's going to rotate), but then flickers back to the landscape settings. 

I've checked forums on this site as well as googled on the internet but haven't been able to find anything on the subject. 

Is there some other trick to get the rotation feature to stick?  You help is much appreciated as I rely on rotated screens for many reasons. 

Many Thanks,
Fred
802.11n
icantux

Re: Screen Rotation from Catalyst Control Center won't stick

That's a known problem - SP3 breaks the Catalyst drivers and renders many other ATI-related modules functionless. If you absolutely need such access to additional monitors, it would be best to revert to SP2 for the time being.

Here's the Microsoft article regarding the Catalyst driver problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309/

Hope this helps
Paper Tape
fschade

That does help a lot, thanks! 

I guess I'll have to be patient whilst ATI/Lenovo works around the new MS block...  (ATI didn't seem to have an update for my machine and referred me to Lenovo). 

Any idea of timing from Lenovo on an update that fixes this issue?  While not urgent, I really to like this feature a LOT.  (I'm not so bent that I would go back to SP2, but will wait anxiously for an update from Lenovo). 

Thanks,
Fred

What's DOS?
mprobst

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issues with my T43p laptop (ATI Mobility FireGL V3200) after having upgraded to WinXP SP3. I am no thinking about switching back to SP2 even though I don't really like this idea. Does anybody have an idea if this problem is going to be fixed at all with a patch available through the ThinkVantage System Update? I have also tried some more recent drivers from the ATI website but their installer crashes.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Martin.
What's DOS?
lancelspencer

It's not an SP3 issue, it's a ATI Radeon issue.  The same problem existed with Dell using the Radeon drivers.

Version 8.6 of the ATI's Radeon drivers fix the issue.  

Dell updated their machines to 8.6 and they were good to go.

Lenovo is still on 8.4 (hence the problem)

Lenovo, please update to 8.6!   Thank you!

What's DOS?
acetsuntura

Hi there!

I work in Tech support in the UK for a hospital and i have recently come across this issue on our HP5850's.

They are using the HP drivers built on catalyst 8.4, and also had SP3 installed and the screens would NOT rotate.

After much faffing around and eventually coming across this site we tried uninstalling SP3 and now the screen rotates fine.

So, whilst i do not wish to argue with Lancelspencer (last poster), removing SP3 DOES fix the issue.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Brendon

NHS IT Tech support

Paper Tape
mgentry

This just bit me too.  How long before Lenovo actually bothers to update their drivers?
What's DOS?
gonzobent

[ Edited ]

Has this issue been addressed yet? I am running into this same problem. Lenovo, please respond to this issue.

Update: Does anyone know of a way to bypass the check that won't allow me to install version 8.8 of the driver? 

Message Edited by gonzobent on 09-17-2008 10:39 AM
med
Punch Card
med

Any update on this from Lenovo? We deployed SP3 and our T43's and T60's w/ ATI card don't rotate.

I have a fair ammount of people who would like to use the Rotate Display feature.

'

Paper Tape
dannyv

I spoke to Lenovo support a few weeks ago about this.  Still no word.  I reverted to SP2 because frankly my work habits would be changed.  But I'd really like to move to SP3.  When's it going to be, Lenovo?