Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
MCP_Trainee
Accepted Solution

Searching for Windows Server 2003 Driver for T42 Network Adapter

I am looking for a little assistance.  I am currently studying for my MCSA in Windows 2003.  My second exam (Exam 70-290) requires me to learn the Windows 2003 OS. 

To do this, I purchased a second hard drive for my IBM T42 laptop. 

After loading the MS Press Trial Windows 2003, I discovered that I am missing the drivers for my network card.  Intel apparently does not offer support for this adapter as it is OEM specific (or I am looking in the wrong place) and the IBM drivers I have found are only for XP/2000.

My network adapter is:

Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection

Does anyone have a link to where I can download the drivers for this adapter that will work with Windows Server 2003?

If you have any other ideas even on where to search for these drivers or similar drivers I can attempt to load that may do the trick (not even sure if this is possible), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

community supermod
erik

Re: Searching for Windows Server 2003 Driver for T42 Network Adapter

try this driver and see if it works...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62922

if that doesn't work then try this one...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-54046

i used the second one on a T42p under server 2003 about four years ago and am fairly confident that it will work.

good luck!

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Fanfold Paper
MCP_Trainee

Thank you for the suggestions Erik.  I attempted to load both of those drivers and another driver I found at driverguide.com. 

Unfortunately none of them allowed the Intel PRO/1000 MT Network Connection network card to be recognized by Windows Server 2003.

I may have to accept defeat as I believe the IBM T42 laptop was never intended to act as a Server. 

I have loaded Windows Server 2003 onto my laptop and it is functional, I just do not have the ability to access the Internet from it.   Still, I can do all the exercises in the M/S Manual without having Internet access.
community supermod
erik

have you loaded SP2 yet?   is this the original version or the newer "R2" version?   are you unable to get the internal wifi card connected?

if you can find a way to get this machine online (perhaps using a pccard/cardbus ethernet or wifi adapter) then windows update very well may have a compatible WHQL driver.

i've run 2003 on my thinkpads since release and am currently running 2008 enterprise on my X300 and can say with absolute confidence that driver compatibility is a pain.   many times a compatible driver is out there but you have to experiment with multiple versions to get the one that will properly install.   in the case of 2003, trying windows 2000 drivers can help, too.

anyway, if i think of any other suggestions then i'll let you know.

Fanfold Paper
MCP_Trainee

[ Edited ]
Thank you for your help Erik.  I contacted an IT tech friend and he directed me to a driver on the Intel website that did the trick. 

The driver works for Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.  There is even another driver there for Windows Vista and Server 2008 for 32 bit OS located under "top downloads" at the top of the page. 

The file is over 11 MB, so would this be a generic all drivers in one file?

Here is the link if anyone else finds difficulty:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/index.htm

So now my trial copy of 2003 enterprise has connectivity.  There are another 5 drivers to locate, but that task is easier without having to swap hard drives in and out of my laptop and transfer potential drivers with a flash drive :smileyhappy:

One last question I will post in this thread rather than start a new thread.  Of the 5 missing drivers, 2 are listed as unknown devices.  I have limited installation experience on XP and this is my first 2003 installation.  This is the first time I have encountered unknown devices. 

How do I discover what the unknown devices are so I know what drivers to look for ?

Edit: To answer your questions Erik:

1. I have not downloaded SP2 as I believe the MS Press book is designed to teach the software in SP1.  I was unsure if this would change the exercises in the book. 

2. It is the R2 version, but this version is installed by a separate disk.  Again, the text recommends not installing the R2 version until the exercises in the text are completed. 

3. I do have a wireless card, but I believe one of the unknown drivers is related to the wireless card as it does not appear in device manager.  It will be one of the drivers that I look for today.

Once again, thank you for your help.  This website is a valuable resource.

Message Edited by MCP_Trainee on 05-05-2008 05:08 AM
community supermod
erik

these days, 11MB for a driver installation app doesn't seem excessive in size.   i'm not a programmer and can only guess about its contents.

to help nail down your missing items, open the device manager and right-click the unknown devices and get their properties.   in this window click on the "details" tab, then click the drop-down menu and choose "hardware IDs" and "location information" to get a better idea of what/where the devices are located.   you can usually search google for the hardware ID and find what the device is or does.

besides your wireless adapter, it's likely that you're missing drivers for the atmel TPM device, ACPI controller, and possibly even intel chipset support.   these can be downloaded from this page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-55386

hopefully that gets you going in the right direction.

Fanfold Paper
MCP_Trainee

Once again Erik, you have been an immense help.

I have now located 5 of the 6 missing drivers.  Two (NIC and Wireless) came from generic drivers from the Intel website.  The last three drivers came directly from the link you provided above (including one of the unknown drivers).

Both of my unknown drivers are associated with ACPI.  One driver was found by loading the ACPI Power Management driver for Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 98. 

The second unknown driver has the following properties:

Location Intel 82801DBM LPC Interface Controller

Hardware IDs: ACPI\IBM0071
                        *IBM0071

Do you have any insight into which driver I should be looking for?

I did load the Battery MaxiMiser and Power Management Features driver under Power Management drivers, but have not loaded the Hibernation, Hibernation Standalone Boot or Intel SpeedStep Applet drivers yet.

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]
it's most likely the infrared port.   i don't believe there's a way to get it working under 2003.

you probably don't need it anyway.  :smileywink:

glad to hear everything else is up and running.   good luck with your certification!

(edit: fixed typo)

Message Edited by erik on 05-06-2008 10:48 AM

Fanfold Paper
MCP_Trainee

Thank you for everything.  Now back to the studies. :smileyvery-happy: