Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
arniee

Service Partition; T61 Upgrade XP to Windows 7

When upgrading my T61P to Windows 7 from Windows XP, is there any value in keeping the Service Partition?

I cannot remember when I ever needed it. Maybe, I'm missing something

I was thinking of removing the partition to get an extra 6 GB of Disk Space.

Since it can be hard buy a new drive and then install a new OS when the HDD crashes while traveling, I carry an External USB Drive,  BounceBack Software, and little screw drivers for my system recovery - swap drives.

Maliha

Re: Service Partition; T61 Upgrade XP to Windows 7

Hi arniee,

Alternatively you can create RnR recovery discs and get rid of service partition at you own choice.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Paper Tape
arniee

Thank you.

I found that it was much easier and reliable to do the disk swap than to try and find a HDD and such in some foreign country. Sometimes it is hard to find a store in a foreign country late at night with a presentation the next morning.

I would always back up to the USB drive after the presentation was finalized and any important last minute emails came in. Just get out the little screw drivers and swap them and I was up-and-running.

Can you tell me the benefits of the Service Partition?

Paper Tape
arniee

The BounceBack Software duplicates the Service Parition and all C: files including the Registry.

Swap it in and it starts right up like nothing happened. It's almost like imaging the HDD.

Maliha

arniee wrote:

The BounceBack Software duplicates the Service Parition and all C: files including the Registry.

Swap it in and it starts right up like nothing happened. It's almost like imaging the HDD.

Fantastic, thinking ahead of time is very good practice. As for service partition benefits, I can only think of few, which are that it saves your system when Windows is completely broken or infected with viruses, and also it can come in handy when computer unexpectedly fails to start.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Punch Card
aiiee

The one time I ever went to the Service Partition to recover data it failed,  I wouldn't depend on it.  If I hadn't made my own backups, everything would have been lost.

Paper Tape
arniee

Thank you folks.

For a couple of weeks I'm in Mexico and I use my T61P to watch my DirecTV DVR a home using a Sling Box that is connected to the DVR at home. This new technology works great.

I just don't know waht to do about Win 7. My XP Pro system works fine, but I keep thinking that my machine would be even faster with 64 bit addressing and an updated OS.

Regarding the Service Partition, I just don't know whether the Repair stuff on the partition will actually work if I update to Win 7.

I know that my USB HDD and BOuceBack software works because a system backup actually makes an "image" of the HDD in the T61P. It worked great when I had my old T40.

If I find anything, or if you find out anything about T61P XP Pro >-> Win 7, post it please. I just don't know yet.

On the other hand, I expect that I could move up to a bigger HDD than the 150M one that I have so the Service Partition won't be much of a burden.

On the other hadn, the Xp to 7 conversion seems like a general pain to do. I am perfectly happy with my Office 2003 and I don't like the user interface on Office 2007 so I don't know whethet I want to upgrade to 2007. I don't know how "compatible" Office 2003 really will be with Win 7.

Too many thing to think about.