Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
wealthpartners

Slow T42 - Suggestions Please

[ Edited ]

I should have joined this forum long ago.

I am using a T42 that I bought in 2005.

Has this model become a legacy as I couldn't find this model in the discussion threads.

Off late, I find the machine very slow. I can only increase the RAM to 1.5GB.

Any suggestions what I should do? Some friends told me its not worth it to upgrade. A new machine makes more economic sense. But, honestly, this machine is very reliable and has not disappointed me. Just that it a bit slow now, even booting up.

Joseph

Moderator note subject edited after post was moved

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Re: Slow T42 - Suggestions Please

This problem is most likely software, not hardware, as newly developed (or updated) operating systems and applications tend to expect greater hardware to run them. If you installed Window XP sp0 version and used 10year old apps (same time period), you'd probably see it running like it did when it was new, but updates often are needed to keep your system secure, so we find necessary to upgrade as much as possible.

Is it cost effective to upgrade?  that's a good question. You may take a computer with a $50 resale value, spend $100 and not be able to sell it for even $100, but if you enjoy the computer and it make your life easier, then it's a $100 well spent.

I don't (personally) know the limits of ram and cpu that your machine has, but that would be the first step to upgrading. There ould also be thermal problems, if a CPU is running to hot, due to bad fan or clogged air passages, it will slow down to keep the cpu from overheating. One simple (but unauthorized) technique I often use (don't laugh) is blow hard into the cooling port/s, you should hear the fan spinning, making a gentle "wizzing" sound. That's not going to insure it is working, but will confirm the passages are open. You can also install a 3rd party app called "thinkpad fan control". It's freeware, but a small donation would be nice if you find it useful (google can find it for you). When installed, you can set the fan to bios (current control method) Smart (the program will turn it on when needed) or manual, where you can have it run always. (this setting is good for testing, you should be able to hear and feel it when it's on).

Sometimes it helps to remove the heat sink, clean it and apply new thermal paste. I recommend Artic Silver #5. It's made with 99.9% silver filings and conducts heat very well, just don't use to much. To much and it will act like an insolator and make it run hotter, to little and it also will run hot. You want it to spread over the full size of the chip/s, with as little overspread as possible.

You might also consider installing Linux on it, linux runs faster and more reliable then windows and is more stable, and it's also free. One of many good Linux distributions is Ubuntu (ubuntu.com). There will be some learning involved, but many old computers that would fall on their faces under windows Seven, run beautifully on Linux, and it's completely free, as are all the apps that run on it.

I hope this information is helpful, and I suspect you'll get some more specific answers from members who own this model. Good Luck.

TuuS

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

ram limit is 2 gigs.

cpu limit is dothan 2.1 ghz PM 765.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ajkula66
Kudos: 758
Solutions: 801

It would help a lot if we knew the machine's 7-character model number displayed on the sticker on the bottom of the machine, should be something like 237?-???

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
802.11n
sktn77a

[ Edited ]

If you still have the 2005 factory software installation, that's most likely your problem. You can buy software that will clean up you registry, installation, etc, but the better solution is to do a complete re-install of the Operating System and application software. If you have 1Gb or less memory, increase that to 2 Gb. I upgraded all of the CPUs on my T4x computers to the Dothan 2.0GHz - marginal improvement, probably not worth it in retrospect. A new 320Gb IDE hard drive will speed up things dramatically. Although the drive rotational velocity will be the same as what you have now, the greater density of data will speed up reading and data transfer to and from the drive.

I wouldn't go overboard though, the computer is probably worth less that $100 right now (I know, it hurts, having paid over 2 grand for it originally)!

Keith
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU
Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

Two more suggestions:

• If Microsoft .NET Framework 3.x has been installed it slows dows the speed sigificantly. It will be needed with the latest Powermanager (but not the BatteryMaximizer) and Access Connections.
  • Annother suggestion is the health of the hard disk. If there are read errors on sectors the computer trys several times to re-read the sectors.
  • Printer software - suites have a lot of "overheaded" files and executables which use systemperformance.

Remove .NET Framework 3.x if not needed.

Check the Event Manager (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Eventmanager - System) for read errors concerning "harddisk 0" oder "disk 0" and perform a full scandisk.

Deinstall the printer software and only install the printer driver if possible.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Blue Screen Again
charley92845

I am using two IBM Think Pads T43 1875 DLU laptops for all my home office computing. About two months ago they both slowed down dramatically.  The Windows 7 Ultimate was the first to slow and then Windows XP SP3 ground down almost to halt.At that time I also had to replace my Norton Internet Security on both machines and noticed an ad where Fry's offered a package deal of Windows Internet Security 2012, Norton Utilities 15, and Norton Ghost 2011 for less than $10 after rebates.  I have used Norton Utilities on both machines with great effect,  Both are faster than ever.  Norton Utilities used to be for the power user only.  Now Norton has rewritten them with an interface that permits complete optimization with just one click. I have scheduled daily optimization on both laptops and it is working perfectly, maintaining optimization just fine..

Now I just wonder about me when I tinker so much and spend so much to run these ancient machines when brand new Levono ThinkPad laptops are available for $350 and  up.  One of those $400 machines would do my little office just fine and the cost is fully deductible from my taxes! With an external storage drive on a USB connection, it would be the equivalent of some of the most powerful desktops around.  It may just be time for me to spring for a new laptop, if I can convince the wife of the necessity for it.

We don't need to be so frugal!  Let's spend ourselves and the country out of recession. . .

Blue Screen Again
charley92845

Keith, can you expand a little on replacing the CPU on T42 machines with the Dothan 2.2 MHz .  That would surely do wonders for my old T43 machines with 1.2MHz CPUs. I have been told that the CPUs are soldered to the Motherboards in these laptops.  Soldering and desoldering on motherboards with their printed circuits could be very tricky, I'm thinking.  But maybe this is a way to finally convince myself that I should buy a new computer

T43 1875DLUX2.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

If the cpu is soldered, you can't replace it, at least not with any typical soldering equipment. Back in the old days, they used to have CPU upgrade chips that would snap ontop of the existing chip...  but in that era chips didn't run as fast or as hot, so that isn't possible now.

In some old IBM thinkpads, the cpu was soldered on a daughter card that you could replace, perhaps this unit is similar. I know my thinkpad 390 series used this method of manufacture.

ps. I think I mentioned this before, but if you have enough ram, installing Linux would be a good alternative. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

The CPU on the T42 are removable they are not BGA type like on the X series laptops.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft