Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Montana

T23 battery will not charge

I have a T23 (2647-4MU) that the battery will not charge any longer.  I bought a new battery (that's what one of the FAQs said I probably needed to do.  It came charged to 74% but has slowly been going down.  I just run it on the power supply now but would sure be nice to be able to make small room changes without having to shut it down.  I'll appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks
Community Moderator
rkawakami

Re: T23 battery will not charge

Welcome!

From the description of your problem, my vote would be to say that a part has come loose from the motherboard. I've personally seen two T23s that did this (out of about 40 that have gone through my hands). Of course the fact that I buy "parts and repair" systems off of eBay kind of skews this occurrence :smileyhappy: . If you are handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, then use the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the T23 and remove the keyboard and check the black part near the top center of map location G6 in this scan. If you find that the part is loose but can't do the soldering yourself, then try a local computer or TV repair shop. If you disassemble the system beforehand and ask them to re-solder the part back on, it shouldn't cost you more than $10-$15.

There can also be some other problems on the motherboard which causes the battery not to charge (blown fuse; but that generally means the laptop will not work at all with a battery) or another loose or fried part. The part I've highlighted usually is the culprit in these situations.
----------
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request
Fanfold Paper
Montana

Ray,

Sorry it took so long to answer you back but haven't had a chanch until today to try what you suggested.

I got to the part that you showed me but it doesn't seen to be loose.  It kinda looks like I may end up taking the motherboard out and look at the solder joints.  I have looked this up on another site that you post on so had kinda expected I might have to go that far.  I use this computer quite a bit so might take even more time to get that far.

I did try the computer on the battery and it does operate so I guess that rules out the fuse problem that you mentioned.

In some of the other postings I saw mention of an external battery charger.  If allowed on this forum, could you give me an idea of where I might be able to purchase one.

Thanks for your help.  Hope I can get this resolved.

Community Moderator
rkawakami

I've been away from this site for awhile; sorry for the delay.

External battery chargers can be found at lenovo.com, eBay and other online stores. For the T2x systems, your best bet may be eBay, like this one:

22P9043

Your regular AC adapter plugs into the charger and you can then connect two batteries to it.
----------
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request
Paper Tape
gatorback

Greetings!  I loaned my T23 to the GF and when I got it back the orange battery LED is always on.  Other observation include that the battery does not charge (not sure if it is a battery issue or a charger issue).  Therefore it only works when it is plugged in.  I do not have another fully charged battery to test the system. 

Any suggestions that would help isolate the problem would be appreciated.  I thought I read something about a possible blown fuse: where would this fuse be located (that grid picture is really nifty).

Thank you fo your constructive comments.

Paper Tape
Hm-User

I've got the same problem with my T23 Battery, thought i need to buy a new one. I will try to fix it with your instructions.

Thank you so far :smileywink:

Fanfold Paper

i have the same problem too.

any body have found the fix yet?

the orange light is permanently "on". it will blink 3 times whenever the power supply is plugged.

the battery charge always remain on zero.

the battery can still run the computer even if the power supply is un-plugged. 

What's DOS?
bigbear

I was intentionally running the battery down in my T23 and when it started giving warning messages I plugged in the charger and it has shown no signs of life since, either from the battery or the charger.  I tried my car charger and got nothing from that either.  It sounds like it could be the blown fuse referred to above.  I'm working my way through the disassembly, but I don't see anything that looks like a fuse on the motherboard.  Can I get a hint where it is?

Bit Torrent
wjli2

It could be done to either battery's fuse was blown or that the motherboard is giving trouble. If you have replaced it with new battery

and it is still giving the same problem then there is a good chance that the motherboard is the culprit. 

What's DOS?
chrisn7

Just acquired a T23 for use with car diagnostics-they are preferred even now due to the presence of a serial port. I had the no charging problem which turned out to be exactly the component in G6. Bit fiddly to re-solder as not much space, but all is well now. Thank you!