05-12-2010 01:17 PM
I'm using a IBM T41 Thinkpad, running Windows XP on a 1600 MHz single core CPU with 1024 MB Ram.
For the past 2-3 weeks I've had problems with the sound breaking up every now and then and being "choppy" in general.
This is not internet related seeing how I am having this issue even when I am running an MP3 file from the harddrive.
Here's what I have tried so far.
* Checked to make sure no heavy processes are running in the background.
* Tried different media players (VLC, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Winamp, Spotify)
* Uninstalled software I am not using I know have updaters
* Updated to latest audio software package through the system update feature
* System restore to earlier dates.
Kind of running out of options other than re-installing the system which I consider a last option.
I don't know much about sound settings and such in general but after years of computer usage I know the specs for the system should be able to handle it... I have FFDShow installed from a codec pack called CCCP.
The settings for FFDShow is set on default however... Which works great on my media center and gaming system.
Any ideas on what I can try to get this working again? Before I go cry myself to sleep yet again?