Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
ned11wils
Accepted Solution

T42 HDD upgrade- Recovery disks install but hard drive only boots to Rescue and Recovery routine.

I am doing a fresh install in the following rather than cloning because the system has not been reinstalled for 4yrs.  From an external usb CD drive (internal drive removed) I installed the recovery disks onto a 160GB Samsung HM160HC PATA drive with no problem .  Then clicked the restart button.  My T42 booted right back into the opening page of the Rescue and Recovery routine.  On restarting again I used F12 to get the list of drives and selected the Samsung HDD.  This did not help.  Have repeated startup numerous times.  The computer could not be looking at any other drive because the Samsung is the only one connected.  I am tempted to download Lenovo's available BIOS update while logged-in with the old 30GB drive regardless of the fact that my  Embedded Controller Program is ver 3.04 and supposed to be suitable for the 160GB drive upgrade.  If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 801

Re: T42 HDD upgrade- Recovery disks install but hard drive only boots to Rescue and Recovery routine

Welcome to the forum!

Wipe the hard drive clean.

Boot from the first (Rescue & Recovery CD) and follow the prompts. You'll have 7 more CDs to go through (5 for the earlier version).

Once the process is complete, the machine will instruct you to remove the final CD and reboot. At that point, you should be able to boot from the hard drive with no interaction required.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Guru
Mornsgrans

Re: T42 HDD upgrade- Recovery disks install but hard drive only boots to Rescue and Recovery routine

After restoring the recovery partition from CD the computer boots this partition to restore the factory settings (recover drive C:smileyhappy:

If that is done, the computer boots drive C:. If this fails and recovery partition boots in an endless loop, you can set the bootflag of drive c: with Gparted from Parted Magic bootable CD (--> Google).

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Fanfold Paper
ned11wils

Mornsgrans,

Thank you for your response.  I was not aware that such a tool as pmagic was available.  Have burned an ISO CD but am wondering, even if it allows me to boot to C: I should have not needed it so maybe the recoery software that I installed on the hard disk is corrupt and there will be problems afterwards?

Also I hear stories of miracle cures as well as disasters from flashing the BIOS.  If you or anyone else has experience with this I would appreciate some input.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hi ned11wils,

Once the machine has rebooted to the recovery environment, it there an option there to restore to factory state?

IIRC, on these older machines, the restore was a two-step process.  First use the CDs to recreate the recovery environment, then boot the recovery environment and restore the OS from the now restored recovery partition.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
ned11wils

Thank You Zoltonthegypsy!!!

Successful reinstall done.

If you or anyone else can recommend some protocal from here I will be grateful.  First I downloaded ie8 because of the installed antiquated version.

Tried to install SP3 but after two hours on a 50kps link and 99% downloaded ie gave an error message saying that ie cannot download SP3.

There seems to be a long standing question as to whether SP2 must be installed first- Microsoft did not address this on the SP3 download page that I found. 

Another website warned that there is a risk of computer viruses attaching themselves to the download so it is necessary to install an antivirus program first.  I had had the same concerns but this danger was only mentioned in one place.

My antivirus program is Norton 360 v6 which is presently downloading and should be finished by the next century.

All advice on protocal and other suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

ned11wils

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

Excellent.  Now how about clicking that "Accept as solution" button :smileyhappy:

Do you have a friend with cable/DSL who can download and burn SP3 for you?

From List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3:

This article lists the problems that are fixed in Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3). Service packs are cumulative. This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs. For example, Windows XP SP3 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
ned11wils

Zoltanthegypsy-Yeah thanks again.  Definitely an Accept As Solution. 

Sure do wish I could do a cable connection.  Am presently travelling overseas and all of the internet shops around here only will do wifi.

Thanks again.

Fanfold Paper
ned11wils

Do not know if I marked your response as solution in the correct place or even if I marked it.  But yes.  You nailed it.

When the recovery routine to restore factory settings is run from the new hard drive the restoration goes.

As I mentioned earlier the Internet explorer ver had to be updated before getting anything done.

Guru
Mornsgrans

ned11wils schrieb:

There seems to be a long standing question as to whether SP2 must be installed first- Microsoft did not address this on the SP3 download page that I found. 

Please find Service Pack 2 here

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection