Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ajkula66
Kudos: 758
Solutions: 801

Re: T42 Screen Blackout

Now I'm quite puzzled with the fact that it worked for an hour and then started misbehaving again...

And the other (known working?) LCD doesn't work at all? 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
EGilger

yep, I called IBM tech services and they said that my r51 LCD was compatible and so I switched them out, it worked for an hour and then It started making a buzzing noise and flickered off, it still works with another moniter and it's still VERY dark on the screen. I put a t42 specific LCD in when it came but no dice? Ideas. Thanks
ajkula66

Buzzing sound usually equals dying inverter...
Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
EGilger

Does a LCD inverter need a driver? Also was the TEch right, is the r51 LCD compatible? or could I have blown something else using it? or is there a special trick to installing it, I just plugged the two ends in and screwed it on?Thanks again
ajkula66

Tech was right, and the LCD is compatible...and inverter doesn't need a driver per se...

Where've you gotten the previous inverter? 

Cheers,

George

Paper Tape
EGilger

I now have four LCD inverters available. The assumed broken one, the one off my old R51, the assumed working one I got from Ebay, and my sisters working T42's all work in my r51 just fine, none work in the T42. Could it be a motherboard issue? Thanks

- Eric

Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Hello,

yes it seems to be a motherboard problem. T4* are suffering from the so called 

"flexing" phenomenon.Google for it.

The gfx chip and it´s solder breaks apart from the board.

The problem is rather frequent and happend when taking your TP with just one hand at the corner.

Sadly you´ll need a new mobo.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
gaoheshuai

[ Edited ]

Hello,  

This has just happened to my T42. I didn't notice any discoloration (reddishness) before this happened. I can still use my laptop with an external monitor and the screen on the laptop works for a few minutes after I power it on but then it blacks out every time.                

From what I can tell, and after reading some forums, the problem is probably a bad inverter, a burned out backlight, or this "flexing" problem. Is there any way I can find out which is my actual problem? I ask this because my warranty expired a month ago and fixing this will have to come out of pocket.   

Thanks for your help.

Message Edited by gaoheshuai on 10-19-2008 10:32 AM
ajkula66

There are two things here that I find out of the ordinary for a GPU failure:

a) The machine worked for an hour before dying and never came back afterwards, with a proper picture on LCD.

b) The buzzing sound that OP described.

I'm not ruling out a motherboard problem, having owned a X31 that behaved in a similar manner, but the big difference here is that I never got anything more than a faint image on the LCD...

Puzzled I am, that much I'll admit...

Cheers,

George

What's DOS?
SMIRESS

EGilger,

Did you ever get it fixed?  I just came down with the same problem and followed your post.  I have ordered an inverter and will try that first.  Let us know what you found out.

Steve