Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
benko
Accepted Solution

T42 problem to renew IP address

Hello,

I cannot tell you how much time I spent on this: I even changed my wireless adapter without fixing the problem.I have this T42 laptop with XP SP3 with all the recent upgrade from Windows and ThinkVantage Update. I use to be able to easily connect to my wireless network at home. But it is now quasi impossible. It detects the wireless access but the connection fails when the IP address is acquired. The repair process did not work either. I de-installed ThinkVantage Access and used Windows. It did not get any better although the message through IPCONFIG was: unknown media status, which led to some possible issues, when I googled it. It was all too complex for me although it seems that it would relate to a driver problem from Lenovo… Last but not least, guess my surprise when I connected to my router with wired Ethernet link. It worked without problem and I got instant access to my services. I could see the little wireless icon flashing and I disconnected the cable to find my wireless access working just fine! When I tried to renew the IP address, it would not give me a new IP address. I tried to connect several other devices to my wireless router and ALL worked fine: a PSP, a MAC AIR… When I disable the encryption on my router then the connection works. Obviously, why is another question? So it does not seem to be a ISP problem, a router problem, a wireless hardware problem: it must be a configuration or a driver problem?! Any views will help! 

Benko

Punch Card
langers1972

Re: T42 problem to renew IP address

benko

I had this problem with my T41 and a Netgear Wireless Router, try disabling the ethernet card and I think you'll find it'll work as it did for me.

I found that it was only a problem when I was using WPA Security but WEP worked OK although even then I couldn't get any results from IPCONFIG so it was still not 100%

What's DOS?
benko

Thanks for your feedbacks. I think I sorted my problem out: the problem with the version 8.xx of the LAN Eth card. It seems that although indicated as down and port being shown as disconnected, for some reasons exceeding my competence, it is not the case in fact. This is therefore preventing the Wireless connection to be established properly.

I rolled back to a version 7.xx driver and it is now working fine.

Token Ring
T61-Owner

Same problem on a T-42,   same fix..  Makes no sense...

Where would we be without these forums??

Fanfold Paper
rchristopher

I have an IBM/Lenovo refurbished T42 with this problem.  There are no older levels of this device driver on this machine.  I cannot find a version of this driver older than 8.7.9.0 of 10/24/2006 on the Lenovo site which is known to fail per the forums dated 03/05/07.  There is a driver dated 2/21/2007 Build 135400 on the Lenovo site, but the full fix description does not mention fixing this problem. 

Does anyone know of any way to contact Lenovo to resurrect a working Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile wired network adapter for the T42 for Windows XP?

What's DOS?
Takeshi

Same problem with a T61, same fix, disable ethernet connection via Network Connections

Fanfold Paper
rchristopher

A "fix" that has to be applied over and over every time it occurs is a temporary patch.  It seemed to stay fixed through a reboot, but later it re-occurred.  This apparently has been known since 2006.  (Our network connection was disabled, and we had to disable the device driver.)

There does not seem to be any way to even tell Lenovo about it. 

We are not plugging and unplugging a wired LAN connection since we do not use the wired LAN connection on this computer.  I am concerned whether this could affect the horrible problem we are having doing an AD HOC wireless connection to a wireless printer where the computer is supposed to generate a TCP/IP address for the wireless computer.