Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
drbarnes4

T42 won't leave Rescue and Recovery Program

had to reload from R&R discs. All discs loaded, now caught in Rescue and Recovery Program and won't start WIN XP
David R Barnes T42 XP SP2
andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: T42 won't leave Rescue and Recovery Program

drbarnes4, welcome to the forum,

Please try the following; when starting press F11 to enter the R&R partition, when it's loaded click on restart and with a little luck, i.e. if I've guessed right, it will restart and boot into windows.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
drbarnes4

Andy:

Thanks for the reply.  "F11" just threw me into a similar screen as "F12"--Didn't work. 

I wonder if there is a possibility I don't have the correct discs.  I am using to initiate the process:  Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore (Disc 1 of 1; March 2004).  The seven discs of the Product Recovery CD for ThinkPad R51,T42, T42p Type1829, .... Jan 2995.  (I had to use it to put a new hard drive in about seven months ago, and it seemed to work then.  My only concern is that the R n R with Rapid Restore Mar 2004 (P?N 19$91740) may not apply to Product Recovery CD (Jan 2005; P/N 24R7709; XP-P SP2/ EN/ FRU P/N 24R7684).  Probably doesn't make a difference, but thought I would ask.

David
andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

I think the cds are OK, what you describe sounds correct to me.

I would suggest running the process again with the following additional steps up front;

1) Download and create a bootable diskette or cd from Secure Data Disposal.
2) Set the Pre-Desktop Area in BIOS to disabled. F1 at boot > Secrity > Pre Desktop Area. (BIOS simulators can be found here if you want to have a look before you start changing things.) Also set CD as 1st boot device which you probably have anyway.
3) Run SDD from the diskette / cd at it's lowest level erasing 1st disk and not writing reports. - Shutdown
4) Run the recovery process from cds again. The HPA (Pre Desktop Area) will automatically be reset to normal.

Happy recovering.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
drbarnes4

Andy:

Thanks for your input.  I have used the IBM program to securely delete the data on the disk as you have recommended.  In fact I have done it three times, with three differing levels of deletion.  AT the termination of the program, it still boots into the Rescue and Recovery partition.  I let it do that, then restart the computer, and it still reboots into the same Rescue and Recovery partition.  This is what makes me think perhaps I might hve mismatched initiation disk and the seven subsequent disks all of which are the same set.  Hopefully you will have another recommendation.  Thanks

David Barnes
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

What happens if you try to restore to factory condition when it boots into rescue and recovery on the hard drive.
The cd's will restore the recovery partition and then you reboot into Rescue and Recovery to restore Windows from the recovery partition. In other words, you have to restore to factory condition twice. Once to create the restore partition and once to restore Windows.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
What's DOS?
lctetro

I am having the same problem trying to rebuild my brother-in-law's T42.  David, have you been able to find a resolution?  Thank You.

Regards

Larry Tetro T42 WinXP Sp2

What's DOS?
jyang49

When it came back to the same screen, just follow the same steps again and click "Restore factory contents". It will then go through a different process and complete the install.

What's DOS?
infinitydist

This is old but I know some will still have issues with this like I just did tonight.

After you install all 7 discs, remove disc 7 and reboot. It goes back to the R and R page.

Click -->  'Restore Factory Contents'  again like you did with CDs, only leave CD out of drive this time.

R and R will find the files from the discs, that are now on your hard drive and install them rest of the way. Windows will eventually pop up as it decompresses the files and installs them, it will run forever so just let it sit and watch the fireworks until it's all installed..