Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
O8h7w
Accepted Solution

T43 2668-44G An "Unknown Device"

[ Edited ]

I need help... (couldn't find a blushing smiley)

I've got an "Unknown Device" in my Device Manager since I installed Win7 RC in June. I don't remember if I found out anything about that at the time, but when browsing through the drivers I just happened to find that some T43's has Bluetooth. How do I find out if I have that or not, without the risk of installing the driver? And if I don't, any ideas on what that device might be? I can find everything I know of in the Device Manager, and yes, I have read the detailed specifications.

And another problem: seems I can't put tags to this post that are multiple words, as in "Unknown Device". Is it supposed to be that way or just a missing feature?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A few thoughts that fled from the head of O8h7w
ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

Re: T43 2668-44G An "Unknown Device"

Your laptop hasn't left the factory with a bluetooth...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=266844G

My guess would be that it's TPM chip that is missing.

Have you tried using the Windows Update to find the missing driver?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
O8h7w

How can you tell? If I click "Product Information" I can only find general information, and the short thing called "Original Description" is not full. I guess you're sure that it would show up there? You can't be, unless you've tried the serial number of a T43 that has Bluetooth. But maybe you have?

Of course I've ran Windows Update over and over a few times. Only driver I haven't got from there is the UltraNav driver. TPM chip => ThinkPad Power Management, right? Aint that driver included in the Power Management software?

Sorry if I'm harsh to you, but I wouldn't ask for help if I hadn't tried it myself first...

Completely off-topic, seeing you have a T43 with IPS panel yourself, how to tell what's an IPS panel? Everybody says there's a big difference, but I see huge differences in displays claiming to be similar... well, I'm happy with my display except for the resolution. XGA isn't enough anymore.

ajkula66

Well...I'm somewhat of a T43 buff and will tell you that 2668-44G - which is 2668-44U on the U.S. market - never shipped with a bluetooth, although it has the antenna ready and waiting under your modem card.

IPS/FlexView screens were only available on 15" models, and 12" tablets. Lenovo doesn't offer any of this any more, the closest you'll come to that type of screen is AFFS on X200 tablet.

All 15" SXGA+ versions of R51, T42, T43 and T60 had IPS screens. Some versions of A31 in the same format also had them.

All 15" UXGA units such as A30p, A31p, R50p, T42p, T43p and T60p were also IPS-equipped.

It's difficult to explain the difference until you've seen it. Night and day when it comes to colour accuracy, viewing angles and contrast, not to mention eye fatigue.

TPM = Trusted Platform Module, nothing to do with power management.

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
O8h7w

Great help so far, thank you!

Too bad, a 15" machine is too big for me. :smileysad:  Maybe if I had another, even more portable device. But the keyboard is really the most important thing to me, so that is not a likely solution... I'll stick with my 14" T43 for now.

It seems I'm lucky to find you when I have a T43, and I hope you have more tips - I did find a device named "ThinkPad PM Device" under 'System Devices'... but I didn't find any of the names mentioned in the change log for the driver. Anyway, I'm curious about that TPM chip. What is it for?

ajkula66

[ Edited ]

And under the ThinkPad PM device you should have "Winbond Trusted Platform Module"...is it there?

More on TPM here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Ctrl-Alt-Del
O8h7w

Nope. That should be it. I'll install the driver tonight.

It seems the T43 is the ThinkPad to have.  I think it's the last T series without the Win keys messing up the bottom row on the keyboard, am I right?

But the low resolution (XGA) is really starting to annoy me... I think I want one of those T410s. But my back wants an X series for sure. Gosh, what a problem, don't knowing which ThinkPad would suit me best - when I haven't got money... plain weird :smileysad: