Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
sysbox27

T43 - new hard drive

Hi,

I have bought a refurbed T43 (Type 2668 61G) and am now wanting to upgrade the 40gb drive to something in excess of 100gb (the larger the better). I would prefer a 7200rpm disk but may have to settle for a 5400rpm one.

I have a personal preference for seagate drives but will take whatever you recommend.

My real concern is this. I have read that replacing the hard drive on the T43 is sadly not a straight forward process as a boot error will appear unless the drive is a thinkpad model approved one. I think the error was 1020 or 2010 or similar.

Is there such a thing as a list of 100% confiirmed approved drives for this machine? Can you please provide?

Can you please suggest drives that are known to work in this machine without any additional modding required?

I am really keen to upgrade the drive but can't afford to be purchasing doorstops if the drive doesn't work and I don't think I could live with the beep & error message that apparantly appears with every reboot.

Your help in this matter much appreciated.

Best regards,

G.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: T43 - new hard drive

Hi G,

I don't have much to offer other than sympathy :smileysad:  I went through this with my T43 a while back.  The only sure thing is to purchase a drive from Lenovo - if you can find one.  Their accessories page only shows SATA drives at this point.  You need a PATA drive with Lenovo-blessed firmware.

You can go to their support page and enter your model #, and get a list of Lenovo-branded drives:

Hard drive accessories - ThinkPad T43/p 

I have no idea if any of these are available from Lenovo at this time.  Google tells me that the 100G drive is around - but insanely expensive -$200US or more.  Geez.  There are 320G 7200RPM Hitachi SATA drives available for $50US!

Here's a link to possible substiutues - but even here they caution that the list can't be trusted.

Problem with non-ThinkPad hard disks

I solved my problem by barking at Lenovo - they listed the drive as PATA in their specs, with no warnings, and I had innocently purchased a Seagate 100G drive - and customer satisfaction donated a Lenovo 100G drive gratis.  That probably won't work in your case :smileysad:

BTW - I have always been a Seagate fan.  Nice warranty, and historically pretty good drives.  Lately, though, a pair of 200G SATA drives caused excessive vibration in my T61, and their 7200.11 (IIRC) desktop drives have gottten very bad press.  I use Hitachi lately, and so far so good.  Hopefully the "deathstar" days are in the past.

Good Luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 791

Fujitsu MHV2120AH (120GB/5400) is the largest drive that will not trigger the error. I have a couple in my machines.

Since these have been discontinued as well, expect to pay a premium price for a sealed one. Well worth it IMO, since it's a good drive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
What's DOS?
sysbox27

Thanks to everyone for their responses thus far - much appreciated!

Well looks like I have bought a lemon in the T43. :smileysad:

I did a search here in UK for a new Fujitsu MHV2120AH (120GB/5400) but can't seem to find any stock.

Are there any other drives of smaller capacity (say 100GB?) that will not trigger the error?

Thanks again for your help.

Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

sysbox27 wrote:

Well looks like I have bought a lemon in the T43. :smileysad:

Oh now, don't be so discouraged.  It's workable.
-There are other drives that work.  Check here for lots of info.
-Here: tips on flashing drive FW
 You can put a bigger drive in an unltrabay adapter.  Link

Steve

T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
T42P UXGA 15" Flexview/XP
Family- R50p/(3) X31s/ T61
What's DOS?
sysbox27

Thanks Steve.

I'm on rather a tight budget. I don't have access to some of the software mentioned in the 'flash your disk' article but thanks for the info anyway.

I am going to venture out and buy the Seagate ST9120821A (120GB 5400RPM) which according to the other article works without change. The speed and size could be better but then this is an older laptop (2 years 10months).

I am however a little miffed that IBM would come up with such an idea and then appear not to do anything to assist their client base. I will have to make due with this machine for a while but my impression of thinkpads has been severly dented.

Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

I know what you mean.  I've had the same disappointment with Toyota.  Expecting a flawless experience with Thinkpads,  I've found issues with nearly every version.  But looking in other lines, I see how much there is that really I like about them and realize that I'm willing to work around Thinkpad's issues to avoid the worse drawbacks I find with others.

Glass half full viewpoint:   The T43 is the creme of a long and popular business class series - a very well made laptop with an incredible 4:3 screen (flexview) availible, great keyboard trackpoint keys interface, light and thin for a desktop replacement machine.  Flexible battery solutions, cheap RAM. Quality hinges, hardware intended to last and easily serviced.  Powerful set of business utilities included.  There is a huge support for it with parts and online help and  it has an great  system of (now cheap and common) accessories that really make the difference.  Ultrabay drive adapter, (bought for $15) for example, that allows me to run up to a 500 GB second drive. 

This top end machine cost over $2000 not long ago and can now be had for the price of a new netbook with a tiny screen and no graphics. 

It's downsides (they say):

Runs hottish

Fan noise (sometimes- can be fixed)

Limited drives for the main bay.

Nothing's perfect.  Just a question of what's critical for you and what you can work around.

Steve

T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
What's DOS?
sysbox27

Thanks for that Steve.

I hadn't really given thought to the use of the ultrabay drive adapter.

However getting back to compatible hard drives, do you know if the following would be compatible as the primary boot drive:

Lenovo ThinkPa hard drive 160GB internal 2.5" SATA-150 5400rpm buffer8MB.

I guess maybe not as SATA?

Thanks again everyone.

Blue Screen Again
seaweedsl

sysbox27 wrote:
... do you know if the following would be compatible as the primary boot drive:

Lenovo ThinkPa hard drive 160GB internal 2.5" SATA-150 5400rpm buffer8MB.

I guess maybe not as SATA?

You're welcome.  Ajkula is the one who has the experience, from what he says (and others) the biggest availible is a 120 GB PATA for the internal on the T43.

That link to ThinkWiki I put in above has a list of drives that work off the bat and drives that work with firmware upgrade.

And worst case, you put in up to a 500 GB drive and turn off the stop on error in the BIOS and just have to suffer a beep for 3 seconds when you boot. 

I boot about once every 4 days, so I would rarely notice it.

Steve

T42P SXGA+ 14"/XP
What's DOS?
Ronensh

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and till now I was sure that I was the only one on earth to experience problems with the T43 and a new hard drive..

Well, just to share my little experience with you:

I installed a Western Digital Scorpio WD1600 (160GB) in my T43. That's the only one I could find that seemed to fit.

Error 2010 appeared of course, but after setting the BIOS not to stop at it, I now have this annoying double beep every power-on, after which everything just works smoothly.

Ronen

Israel