Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
gopn_2k
Accepted Solution

T60 : Backup recovery running for 24+ Hours...

I have a T60 with 60GB HDD and I decided to get myself a new 500GB HDD, With the Rescue & Recovery option, I felt really confident in trying out this upgrade myself. So did the following.

- Installed the latest RR ver 4.x on old HDD
- Took complete backup of old HDD into a network drive (Backup file was around 13GB)
- Removed old HDD & Installed the new HDD
- Booted and using RR pointed to the network drive and started the backup
- RR finished copying the files and then it started to loop through some messages "Configuring system" and was restarting every minute or so.

Since the backup file was around 13GB, I let it to run for more than 30 hours and finally killed it.

had to install my old 60GB HDD and now looking for a best option to restore my T60 on the new HDD.
I dont know if I was doing something wrong but would like to know the best way to get my Backup restored onto my new HDD ?

Going back to factory settings is not an option for me due to other limitations.

Thanks,
Ravi
T60 (1951) / Windows XP / 2.5GB / HDD 60 GB ~Trying to move to 500 GB

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: T60 : Backup recovery running for 24+ Hours...

What exactly did you boot to in this step?

- Booted and using RR pointed to the network drive and started the backup

Did you boot to a recovery CD/DVD, the new HDD, ???

Paper Tape
gopn_2k

I have made a Rescue and Recovery Start up disk using the "Create Recovery Media" option. This was done using my old HDD and into a CD Drive.

I then used the this CD to boot .

Thanks,

Ravi

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

That should work.  I wonder if your new HDD is "advanced format" and maybe that is what is causing the problem.  What is the model number of the new HDD?

Paper Tape
gopn_2k

Thanks for your response - I should have mentioned this before - The new HDD is a Hitachi 2.5 SATA 500GB  / 5400 RPM / 8 MB Cache. Sorry dont have a model number.

Could this be an issue ?

Ravi.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I need the model number.  You can look it up in Device Manager, in the Disk Drives category.

Paper Tape
gopn_2k

Okay - with the new HDD i am unable to boot up as it still shows up "configuring system"  - I went to bios and got the following number on HDD : HTS547550A9E384

Ravi

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]

That's an "Advanced Format" hard drive which uses 4,096-byte sectors instead of 512-byte sectors.  Microsoft does not support it for XP.  Your best option is to upgrade to Win7 to use the new HDD - have you considered it?  It's possible to run XP on it, using a clean install that is aligned specifically for 4,096 HDDs, but I don't think it will be possible to backup an old legacy HDD and restore it to a new Advanced Format HDD like what you are trying to do.

Paper Tape
gopn_2k

Oh, thats a shocker !

I really hope to move all my installs as is to the new one - even if I had to dig up an old HDD 512-byte sector one.

For now I will put hold on this upgrade - Do you know the OLD type HDDs are still available to buy ?

Ravi.

Bit Torrent
TuuS

Many new drives that are under 500gb use standard format, and you can install WinXP on an advanced format drive, I've done it myself, but trying to clone from a regular to advanced format drive causes issues.

If you want to convert to advanced format, your best option is to reinstall the OS, be it XP, Seven, or Vista. Vista is actually a very good option, it's a good operating system, far better then XP in my opinion and I can get a used copy very cheap. Once fully updated it's comparable with Seven. That's my opinion, others will vary.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)